Author Topic: Todays Game.  (Read 14680 times)

John C

• View Profile
Re: Todays Game.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »
Pete I haven't been to the Northolme for a while but I don't think it has been segregated before. There was trouble last time I understand.

As for the game, my first one under Drury. We look a different team, maybe less flair but definitely more hard work. I've never been a particular fan of Milnes but he was great today.

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
I thought paul mayo looked a very very good player! very calm on the ball.
The back 5 were excellent the best game i have seen dan haystead play for a while and foster and milnes were excellent together with foster allowing milnes to break into the gaps between the forwards and midfield

On the whole a very good performance from boston

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
how has this match been segregated previously?

It hasn't.

Last year a load of what appears to have been non regulars at Trinity fancied a go and sparked an amount of gesticulating behind the goal.  They decided to segregate (badly) the fixture and it got a awful lot worse and less like the 'banter' (hate that word) that we've seen in recent years. 

Personally I think a decent Steward presence and a watchful eye on any likely lads would have stopped anything happening.  Giving people a chicken wire fence to stand behind appears to bring out the inner Zoo monkey in people.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 10:54:55 PM »
Think one of the big things about segregation is grouping. If your going to do it you need to do it well with not only a fence but also a space between, This space should have a few stewards in it to monitor the upholding of the policy. All they did is bunch all idiots together.

Was they Boston fans as Lincoln was of today and it wouldn't be the first time they have crashed on our games.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
Thought a point a piece was about the right result today. Will stick to talking about the game here and will comment on the trouble on the other thread.

First half as LP has said we were comfortably the best side. Everyone working hard and the strong wind working in our favour we went in deservedly 1-0 up, the goal was the best move of the match with Ben Milnes breaking into the box and slotting past the exposed Budz. Jones had a nightmare and looked a shadow of the player that played for us. Think the occasion and our fans may have got to him, but the major problem he had was that they were all hoof and tried to use him as a target man, which despite his height he isn't.

Second half with the wind at their backs they were much stronger, Yates did more in 45 than the rest of their team did in 90 and was easily their motm, although he should have been off after several dives looking for free kicks. Thought their first looked offside, would like another look at it, someone on their forum is supposedly going to put highlights up later in the week. After that we scored from a decent passing move although it wasn't particularly good defending from them leaving Newsh unmarked who put it away at the second attempt after a decent stop from his first effort. More poor defending from us for their second, Watt headed across goal and Yates was on hand to slot home from close range.

KON I hope we don't get Housham as manger the man is full of sh*te. They didn't really create much more than us, they had a header off the bar and another header that was a fraction wide but we had a few chances of our own, Newsh had a good chance first half and SWD had another second. On balance I think chances wise was about even the man talks cr*p saying we scored our only 2 chances.

It doesn't surprise me Milnes played better without Ross in the team, not having to always cover for someone who doesn't tackle and track back meant he could do what he's best at, get forward and support the front players. I thought Mayo pushed him hard for motm, much better than what I was expecting tbh. The new lad Walker looked solid if unspectacular but was a decent debut imo. LP Jordan Smith did play well today but was better Tuesday I thought although I know you didn't see that. Ben Fairclough also looked back to his best.

All in all a well earned point from a group of hard working players, think the more talented players who were "injured" may struggle to get back in.

Trinity for all the bluster from their fans about Drury being a long ball merchant have the same in Housham, all they had was long ball to Stamp who is huge and now Jones. their main threat was from set pieces where the 2 front men were aided by the 2 big lads from the back, this is where both their goals came from although surprisingly neither were headers. Not seen anything in either game to say they are anywhere near the likes of Alty, Halifax or Guiseley, so personally think they'll miss out on the play-offs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:30:45 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
Not seen anything in either game to say they are anywhere near the likes of Alty, Halifax or Guiseley, so personally think they'll miss out on the play-offs.

Agree with that, some good players but the sky ball will not get you out of this division this year. Alty, Guiseley, Halifax and Chester can all play swell. It'll be some feat for them to topple those sides given that which we saw yesterday.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
A few snaps from the game. Nowhere near as good as Shippy's set but a few good ones in there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151456982604282.543647.570994281&type=1&l=09d4a86b3a

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
Surprised we didn'tplay it on the floor more - only did it once and scored our second goal! Hoof ball doesn't get us anywhere.

feelinblue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
Thought a point a piece was about the right result today. Will stick to talking about the game here and will comment on the trouble on the other thread.

First half as LP has said we were comfortably the best side. Everyone working hard and the strong wind working in our favour we went in deservedly 1-0 up, the goal was the best move of the match with Ben Milnes breaking into the box and slotting past the exposed Budz. Jones had a nightmare and looked a shadow of the player that played for us. Think the occasion and our fans may have got to him, but the major problem he had was that they were all hoof and tried to use him as a target man, which despite his height he isn't.

Second half with the wind at their backs they were much stronger, Yates did more in 45 than the rest of their team did in 90 and was easily their motm, although he should have been off after several dives looking for free kicks. Thought their first looked offside, would like another look at it, someone on their forum is supposedly going to put highlights up later in the week. After that we scored from a decent passing move although it wasn't particularly good defending from them leaving Newsh unmarked who put it away at the second attempt after a decent stop from his first effort. More poor defending from us for their second, Watt headed across goal and Yates was on hand to slot home from close range.

KON I hope we don't get Housham as manger the man is full of sh*te. They didn't really create much more than us, they had a header off the bar and another header that was a fraction wide but we had a few chances of our own, Newsh had a good chance first half and SWD had another second. On balance I think chances wise was about even the man talks cr*p saying we scored our only 2 chances.

It doesn't surprise me Milnes played better without Ross in the team, not having to always cover for someone who doesn't tackle and track back meant he could do what he's best at, get forward and support the front players. I thought Mayo pushed him hard for motm, much better than what I was expecting tbh. The new lad Walker looked solid if unspectacular but was a decent debut imo. LP Jordan Smith did play well today but was better Tuesday I thought although I know you didn't see that. Ben Fairclough also looked back to his best.

All in all a well earned point from a group of hard working players, think the more talented players who were "injured" may struggle to get back in.

Trinity for all the bluster from their fans about Drury being a long ball merchant have the same in Housham, all they had was long ball to Stamp who is huge and now Jones. their main threat was from set pieces where the 2 front men were aided by the 2 big lads from the back, this is where both their goals came from although surprisingly neither were headers. Not seen anything in either game to say they are anywhere near the likes of Alty, Halifax or Guiseley, so personally think they'll miss out on the play-offs.

Spot on posting WP agree with your summary 100%, and i too don't think we are quite ready for play -offs unless a late surge gets us 5th spot.
I enjoyed the match and thought a draw a fair result on the day. Impressed with Newsham and the centre back number 5, did well against Stamp IMO.
Don't want to comment on the "aggro" , but do concede that our segregation methods need a major review. Always felt safe at your ground and want you guys and eveyone else to feel the same at ours :(
Thought your lads showed great spirit after Alty and I thought SWD was going to nick it towards the end.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
Good luck for Tuesday

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Good luck Barrow

Seenbetter

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
Be funny if Barrow supporters threw monopoly money onto the pitch as well, unless they need it for wages.

argieh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
Best of luck to GT tonight...good for Lincolnshire football!  :)

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Having watched the video it's difficult to tell if the first was offside as the part of the pitch were their free kick was taken was out of camera shot. But when the "thud" of the ball was heard the goalscorer looked onside. Also having seen it, it confirms what I said, that Trinity had no more chances than us and Haystead wasn't as busy as was made out.

FeelingBlue I think if you want to get in the playoffs imo you need to start with Yates and also get the ball to him and Hawkridge who also looks a good player, instead of the hoofball you played against us, I personally think this will suit Jones as well.