Author Topic: Jones and Spriggs  (Read 16897 times)

Seenbetter

Re: Jones and Spriggs
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »
You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone BM. If folk cannot accept that not everybody has the middle names of 'Oxford English Dictionary' then they should keep their big fat mouth shut and and their personal insults to themselves or have the decency to apologise.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
Id say there would be very little chance of that

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
Gordon Hughes....was that the bow legged geordie flyer that the Chimps had in the 60's ?

Re: Mr Drury....he wanted to be 100% Trinity when BL got the bullett ;)
Don't be fooled by all this badge kising malarky :-[
Some Managers are just as mercenary as the players they condemn.

And if there is one thing you trinity fans know a mercenarie who doesn't care one bit about the football club when you see one. You have a team full of them

We have a team full of players who work for each other on the pitch who we are proud of...no cheating,diving or moaning at refs at every decision they make.

You embarress yourself with your silly comments...and it's mercenary not 'mercenarie'.

embarrass

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
Interesting changes. I have always though Jones was a good player and am sorry to see him go. However these things happen in non league football when daft money is banded about by a club that is determined to try and get one over Boston Utd. We all know that we are a proper football club and I think Mark will realise this in time, but from the offer that was made you cannot blame the lad. I hope this signing of Steve Spriggs does happen -- he sounds a direct and speedy winger that scores plenty of goals- just what we need. Cant remember the last similar winger -- what about Gordon Hughes, Stuart Hamill, Eric Lister even-- thats showing my age!!

Good luck to the lad-- I have to say I am still not absolutely sure about Graham Drury, allthough he seems to be 100% Boston Utd and the signings so far look very promising. I do know that he is a far better prospect than Jason Lee-- what players if any would he have brought in?

So, how did Jones end up at Boston? Surely not because you offered him a better deal than the one he was on?

Drury is 100% for which ever team is paying his wages, but the bullshit is greater than the results in his previous jobs. ( he talks a better game than his teams produce)

Mayo was useless when he played for us,( may be Littles influence) but his default setting was to run 30 yards with the ball, and the launch it in the general direction of the opposition centre half.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
You dont seem to realise the point. Maybe we did maybe we didnt offer more money. The point is money isnt the only reason people come to Boston. You always here players saying they jumped at the chance to play for boston. All jones said was it was a good contract. Meaning they are paying him more football had nothing to do with it. Fair play to the lad for being honest, but dont think if you had offered him the same money he would have left us

Seenbetter

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
So what if he does clout the ball up into the oppositions half, thats probably the way we are going to be playing in the future, sadly.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
dont think if you had offered him the same money he would have left us

Couldnt agree more Big M, the salient question is, had Gainsborough offered him the same terms he was on at Boston would he have accepted their offer?  He appears to have confirmed in the local press that he wouldnt by first committing his future to Boston, and then later claiming it was the security of the contract on offer that persuaded him to eventually leave.  Can't say I'd be too inspired if a player joined Boston saying that's why he'd joined us.  I think if Trinity were in a higher division or even challenging for the BSN title it might have been more understandable.

With regards to Mr Drury, Football fans are fickle, if he gets a few wins under his belt I'm sure he'll be the best thing since sliced bread.  His record at lower levels is reasonable but in my opinion he is yet to prove himself fully at this level.  He's now got a great chance to do that at a big club with a reasonable budget.  I don't think we can make a true judgement on this until he's had the chance to build his own team over the summer.  I guess we can all judge whether his results are better than his "Bulls**t" then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:49:28 PM by Maxross »

argieh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
You dont seem to realise the point. Maybe we did maybe we didnt offer more money. The point is money isnt the only reason people come to Boston. You always here players saying they jumped at the chance to play for boston. All jones said was it was a good contract. Meaning they are paying him more football had nothing to do with it. Fair play to the lad for being honest, but dont think if you had offered him the same money he would have left us
Absolutely, Big M. Although BUFC may not have the financial clout of GT it does have the attraction of bigger crowds, a better atmosphere and the general feeling of a proper football club. That is no disrepect to GT but sometimes money is not the b-all and end-all for some players and that can only be a good thing  :)

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
Mayo was useless when he played for us,( may be Littles influence) but his default setting was to run 30 yards with the ball, and the launch it in the general direction of the opposition centre half.

I'm more interested in his abilities as a defender to be honest, he's been brought in as cover for an experienced full back and he himself is relatively experienced.  Conceding sloppy goals has cost us this season so as long as he can help keep the defence tight when he comes in, he can do what he likes with it when the ball is at his feet.  Its been made clear he can't even make every game so all I'm concerned about is that he can do a good job as a back-up to Jellyman

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
And on the point of gd. Rob Scott and Paul Hurst never seemed to be particularly bothered about Boston united. Well at best indifferent. Didn't change there ability yo run the club so I don't see how it matters

Seenbetter

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
You know Argieh I fully agree with the bits about atmosphere and feelings. You only have to read the comments from visiting supporters about how they like coming here to see that. Sometimes the crowds aren't always happy chappies, including me, but its usually a good afternoon out.

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

[/quote]

That' s because he learnt his trade at the Chimps  ;)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
Should be no concern a blues fan at odds with your opinion .   Majority of them apart from when discussing BUFC are constantly having heated arguments with each other on their forum .
And on the subject of Mayo and Drury they are at odds with their management ,  Swan says Mayo "did a good job for Blues " .  On Echo forum yesterday Housham stressed him and Drury have been mates for years and still are .    He was also complimentry to Dave Newton .

feelinblue

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
Absolutely, Big M. Although BUFC may not have the financial clout of GT it does have the attraction of bigger crowds, a better atmosphere and the general feeling of a proper football club. That is no disrepect to GT but sometimes money is not the b-all and end-all for some players and that can only be a good thing  :)

I think you may find that for the majority of players, money is the b-all...Perhaps you guys have been unlucky/let down? by Yates, Leary, Clarke and now Jones all defecting to Trinity....Bit of a trend going on I'd say.
It's not much consolation or comfort paying to see lesser players who are on the pitch, because the better ones have cleared off.
Like you all say....they will all leave Trinity when a better offer comes along, (unless contracted) ;)
A players committment to any Club is great...but better players win you Promotion.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
Most people are fine with Jones and Clarke ad they was honest and said we are going to trinity for cash reasons not football they let nobody down. As for the other one we won't even talk about him