Author Topic: Chestnuts making a moderate loss on £10 Million turnover  (Read 8038 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chestnuts making a moderate loss on £10 Million turnover
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
Ken is it not possible to have a non football related sub - board. A lot of other football forums do this and it seems to work ok.
I agree. This would also promote off-topic posts, with there being a dedicated place for it.

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Come on folks, the best way to deal with a post by SP is to read it and then completely ignore it, don't respond to it, in fact if it were possible spread it on your roses.
As far as health and safety is concerned I would just like to ask whatever happened to personal responsibility. If, when opening my up and over garage door, it springs up and smacks me on the chin is it the manufacturers fault for making the springs too strong or my fault for not being more careful. There are accidents (well there used to be ) and there are accidents caused be severe negligence.
Oops just drew blood from a sharp staple, must write to the manufacturer and complain for making them too sharp.
Health and Safety is not about keeping people safe, its about the inspectors looking after their own job.

What saddens me about this response, is that in order to berate SP, you seem to have at the same time suggested that the individual was in some way at fault, and you example of the garage door is correct, in that you would be responsible for your own injury.
However The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 clearly states that it is the employers responsibility to provide, a safe working environment, as is practicly possible. This incident involving a young man fell from a scaffolding tower which had not been correctly assembled, and was then fatally  injured by falling brickwork which had not been correctly secured, was not the victims fault, as was proved by the HSE, and ultimately responsibility falls upon the employer who did not meet the Health and Safety Laws by which they should adhere.
The fine of £40,000 reflects that there were failings in the systems in place to prevent injuries and fatalities such as this occurring, and as such attributes guilt.
So in as much as Mr Chesnut may be the saviour of BUFC, remember that his company, and in this case its deficiencies in upholding and adhering to the HASAWA, led to the death of a Husband, Father and Son.
I would suggest that in future you be more considerate for the thoughts and feelings of Justin Gillmans family

Both Tute (site manager) and Chestnut Homes (owned by Boston United Chairman) admitted breaching Health and Safety at Work legislation.

Seenbetter

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »
Thanks TS for not being too hard on me. I do have sympathy for Mr Gillmans family over this very very sad event but Just a couple of points. In my experience the amount of fine imposed is usually determined by the ability of the fined party to pay and that applies to every sort of wrong doing. So if Chestnuts were doing better ie making a profit, the fine would have no doubt been heavier.I do feel that someone should be held accountable for their negligence in carrying out their job and compensation paid to family members who would be left without financial support because of the resulting consequences of that negligence ie spouses, partners, children.
As a matter of curiosity does anyone know where the £40000 fine ends up. Surely it wouldn't be in the governments coffers would it. The best place would be to the dependants but that's too sensible to even consider
I suppose this is a good example in support of not putting non football related subjects on here .

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »
Thanks to truthsayer for posting a response i didnt have the guts to ..A young father perished after alledgedly hulking 40 stone of bricks off the edge of scaffolding .
   Someone died here,,and Chestnuts appeared reluctant to give a timely & moral response to this .
      There are obviously supporters  from both ends of the employment 'spectrum' on here . . but this should be given the light of day.  fT

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
Well said .... father Ted and truthsayer

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
The original post was "Chestnuts making a moderate loss on £10 Million turnover".

So how can they afford to continue to lend money to Boston United?

If you ran a company with a £10 million turnover would you not expect to at least break even? So that's two companies run by your hero and both running at a loss.

As fans, these should be your concerns should they not?

The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Seenbetter

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Just a little response to FT post. "Chestnuts appeared reluctant to give a timely and moral response to this". What do you expect these days when the first bit of advice you get from solicitors is "don't admit liability". That's the advice you get if involved in a minor road accident and right up to murdering thousands of people as a dictator. Never admit liability, that's what the advice would have been. WE would all follow legal advice until the court has done its job and determined whose fault it was. Now its probably up to another court to determine compensation levels.
 Perhaps the only way such a terrible accident could have been avoided is if Health and Safety examine everything, scaffolding etc, and issue a certificate before workmen are allowed on site. I believe fairground rides have to be examined every time they are erected before the public can use them  By the way I am not afriend of or employed by Chestnuts but sometimes a wider view has to be taken of the situation. Not trying to defend Chestnuts but that's the way things happen these days. None of us have any idea what is going on behind the scenes now but I would expect an honourable person to do honourable things.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Which is what I was largely  getting at  SB ..

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
Just a little response to FT post. "Chestnuts appeared reluctant to give a timely and moral response to this". What do you expect these days when the first bit of advice you get from solicitors is "don't admit liability". That's the advice you get if involved in a minor road accident and right up to murdering thousands of people as a dictator. Never admit liability, that's what the advice would have been. WE would all follow legal advice until the court has done its job and determined whose fault it was. Now its probably up to another court to determine compensation levels.
 Perhaps the only way such a terrible accident could have been avoided is if Health and Safety examine everything, scaffolding etc, and issue a certificate before workmen are allowed on site. I believe fairground rides have to be examined every time they are erected before the public can use them  By the way I am not afriend of or employed by Chestnuts but sometimes a wider view has to be taken of the situation. Not trying to defend Chestnuts but that's the way things happen these days. None of us have any idea what is going on behind the scenes now but I would expect an honourable person to do honourable things.

Sympathy to the family of this young man .     Sadly accidents can never be ruled out constuction sites .

Fully agree with the first paragraph of SP post .   
I would amazed if  the H &S had not examined  and issued a certificate for the site , they can not police sites 24/7 .  With many factors involved like the elements , vandalism and human error accidents on sites will never be completly eroded .

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
As to where th £40k goes, dunno. However the news report states that compensation is to be paid at a later date.
TS