Author Topic: Defibrillators  (Read 7460 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Defibrillators
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:51 PM »
So I see all clubs at our level are getting one via the FA and BHF initiative.

Very laudable and something I and most of the BUSA committee back in 2001/02 supported strongly. We were going to buy one for the club but the stumbling block was getting someone to operate it, no one was prepared to go on the course.

Who's going to be the trained operative now we're getting one?

Not a smart arse question, just something I'm obviously keen to know about.

I see Alty are wearing special shirts and auctioning them off to give something back for this very expensive piece of kit, have we any plans for a similar gesture? Even a collection for the BHF?

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=16642.0

Again, not being a smart arse, just asking whats planned, I think things like this are a hell of a lot more important than some of the banalities that get pedalled on here.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Defibrillators
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
The doctor or the head of first aid? I thought this was posted last year after the Spurs v Bolton game? I thought the club has already got one.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
John Thorogood, maybe? Isn't he Safety Manager?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
The doctor or the head of first aid? I thought this was posted last year after the Spurs v Bolton game? I thought the club has already got one.

I was under the same impression but dont know for sure

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
Am defibrillator trained but don't attend many matches being an expat. Happy to help if needed.

Vital as many people as possible are trained - need to be competent in CPR before undergoing the course. Using the machine is fairly idiot proof (yep I would know!), but need to be able to perform CPR to a high level.

You would be amazed how many medical professionals are not necessarily first aid / defibrillator trained.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »
I think we are covered with a defibrillator on first team home match days because the doctor brings one, I could be wrong.

I was in the process of raising funds to buy one for the club to use to cover youth and center of excellence training and home matches when this was announced. We now have to only find 1/3rd of the cost (£265+vat). Donations to the club welcome  :)

We have a meeting tomorrow night and this is something that is on the agenda. If all goes to plan we should have this in place for next season.

I will be putting forward that the center physio and Steve Welsh should take up the training then they should show ALL the center coaches how to use it.

As for my fund raising, I'm holding a event in the Pilgrim Lounge later in the year, this could now be a profit split with the club and the BHF?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Let me know what event is going on won't you?

Ta.

And thanks for the answers.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
I think we are covered with a defibrillator on first team home match days because the doctor brings one, I could be wrong.

I was in the process of raising funds to buy one for the club to use to cover youth and center of excellence training and home matches when this was announced. We now have to only find 1/3rd of the cost (£265+vat). Donations to the club welcome  :)

We have a meeting tomorrow night and this is something that is on the agenda. If all goes to plan we should have this in place for next season.

I will be putting forward that the center physio and Steve Welsh should take up the training then they should show ALL the center coaches how to use it.

As for my fund raising, I'm holding a event in the Pilgrim Lounge later in the year, this could now be a profit split with the club and the BHF?
That could be easily raised by a bucket collection at half time? Just need to make people aware before the game so they can bring some spare coins.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
My three year old nephew suffered a cardiac arrest in his sleep last year due to an undiagnosed conduction abnormality - luckily he was saved (just), but coming so soon after Muamba it certainly gets you thinking about how crucial these AEDs are. I asked the question about Boston United's facilities and got a reply from Lewis that they had the neccesary equipment already, which I took to mean available at training sessions too? If they don't, they certainly should and I'd definitely chuck some money in a bucket so they can get one ASAP. They are absolutely vital bits of kit - CPR on its own for longer than a few minutes simply won't save anyone.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
Any chance of us on the forum donating ? We sponsor a player why not a defibrillators?

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Pete's right - I have six-monthly CPR training for work and implicit in these sessions is that CPR is only going to be useful if the ambulance/hospital crash team are called first and on their way with the defibrillator.

And I'd stick some money in too...

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
We have three charities each new year  as our choices and throw money in that direction. Heart. RSPCA and cancer/lymphoma are this years so will help happily  :)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

gizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
The head of the first aid team is a lives responder and is able to use a defibrillator and some more of the first aid team are nurses and are trained to use defibrillators.Think Katie is too as there is one kept at the ground

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »

Just a quick follow up after last nights Centre Of Excellence meeting:

The first team are covered with a defibrillator, we have various personal trained to use it. This covers not only the players but spectators too.

The club are taking up the offer from the FA & British Heart Foundation (BHF) of funding towards a defibrillator. This will be used to cover Centre of Excellence & youth team training and home matches. We have until 31st May to apply, after that we need to send two staff members for training and collection of equipment, this is to be finalised but will probably be the centre physio and one other, this should then be in place for the start of next season.

The Centre of Excellence has to contribute £265+vat to this. We all agreed we should pay this now with the intention of replacing funds with a event later in the year. We have booked the Pilgrim Lounge and a very good group for the 14TH December with the intentions of raising funds to cover our defibrillator costs.

Event details will be finalised and released nearer the time, not discussed last night but something I will push for is making a donation to BHF from funds raised after we have covered our costs.

Please add this date to your calendar and look out for further details, we really would like as many people as possible to turn out and support our event.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
Great work and good news. Well done to all involved.