Author Topic: Game off  (Read 23959 times)

Boo

• View Profile
Game off
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
If you're off, it's off

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Game off
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »
 Harsh on anyone that has had to travel a fair distance !

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
Exactly, gotta feel for the Chorley fans that travelled, ridiculous time to call a game off, if there was any doubt this morning then that was the appropriate time to call it off, would have saved a lot of hassle.

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »
Well that didn't make us look tinpot at all did it  ::)

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
According to some tweets the Chorley players didn't fancy the conditions.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
According to some tweets the Chorley players didn't fancy the conditions.
I spoke to a club employee at the ground, the ref said ok, but they said no, so it's the Chorley players that have cost their own fans a pointless journey.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
Lots of the lower league games locally have gone ahead, no problem. If the likes of Spalding & Holbeach for instance can get their  matches on then something is wrong here at Boston.  Be it the ref, or the away team players, it's disgraceful that today didn't go ahead.  Yes, we are prone to shaded frozen areas in the corners but from what i am seeing and reading on social media it didn't look that bad.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »
Lots of the lower league games locally have gone ahead, no problem. If the likes of Spalding & Holbeach for instance can get their  matches on then something is wrong here at Boston.  Be it the ref, or the away team players, it's disgraceful that today didn't go ahead.  Yes, we are prone to shaded frozen areas in the corners but from what i am seeing and reading on social media it didn't look that bad.
I've seen the same pics, and we've played on much worse.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
Since when did players dictate whether a game goes ahead or not. If Chorley have somehow influenced the refs discussion to call the game off then that's farcical. I've seen the video Micks posted and it looks playable. Feel for the fans of both teams that have travelled long distances and spent money for today's non event.

On the plus side, if I were Chorley I wouldn't fancy travelling down here for a Tuesday night game. Advantage BUFC   ;)

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
Yep, Adam Murray just been interviewed on radio lincs, Boston were happy to play it, so was ref, some reason Chorley didn't fancy it, maybe they should compensate their supporters who travelled as well as our catering losses.

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
Yep, Adam Murray just been interviewed on radio lincs, Boston were happy to play it, so was ref, some reason Chorley didn't fancy it, maybe they should compensate their supporters who travelled as well as our catering losses.

Apparently they had no striker available today. We could of given them Colley  ;D

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
Disgraceful
The ref says whether game should or shouldn't go ahead.
Should not have been influenced by away manager who didn't fancy it today

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
So have Chorley therefore failed to fulfil a fixture? We should be awarded the 3 points, and they have a massive fine!!

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
Player power? Agree something not 100% right about today's postponement. I remember Andy D'Urso disgracefully calling off at the last minute a Boston Utd v Lincoln City game a few years ago when the pitch was seemingly ok. Now he WAS a controversial and a not well respected referee.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
I wonder if the referee would like to contribute towards my petrol costs today?

I was inside the ground when the game was called off and am very disappointed with the decision. I was near to the players tunnel as the officials walked off and I did try to ask (politely) why the game was off but the officials just blanked me. After a 120-mile round trip I was very disappointed with that attitude. No blame on the club for any of this, but  frankly the football industry sometimes needs a reminder to treat supporters as customers. Also feel very sorry for the Chorley fans, they'd travelled much further than me and their bus arrived around the same time that I did. (There must be something about Boston v Chorley fixtures and wasted journeys - it's not that along ago that a lot of our fans only got as far as the M62 on route to Chorley).

A local referee had apparently passed the pitch as playable earlier in the morning. Having seen the pitch for myself, I'd agree with the local ref in that today's game should have been played. Yes, I know the referee has to think about the safety of the players. But there were no visible icy patches on the pitch, no fog, no snow, etc. Yes, the pitch probably was hard. But is a hard pitch in January any more dangerous than a hard pitch in August on the opening day of the season? And if the game is going to be called off then has to be an earlier cut-off point to prevent people from travelling too far. Also, when exactly did football start being played on bowling greens? I'm sure I've watched matches in years gone by where pitches have been 75% mud, 24% sand and 1% grass.

Boston's weather is no different from surrounding towns, but as far as I can tell we're the only match called off in the immediate area. Again, this seems to suggest that our ref today was in the minority.

We now face the prospect of re-staging the game on a Tuesday night. With a 7:45 kick-off the temperature is bound to be lower than it was this afternoon and you could quite easily now see this descending into another Witton Albion scenario. We'll also get a lower gate in midweek than we would have done on a Saturday so it'll hit the club financially.

You also have to feel sorry for the caterers this afternoon. When this sort of thing happens, what exactly are they supposed to do with all of the pies, pasties and burgers that they've got in and already started cooking?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:20:47 PM by leicester pilgrim »