Author Topic: Match thread.  (Read 18067 times)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread.
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
Now I'm no expert but.....(gonna duck when i say this) RS said we have a dressing room of boys and they have men. What is the average age of our team?? We need a couple of more experienced players last season we we're playing boys this season is a bit different but we still have most of our 'boys'. Play boys...get boys, play men i think you get my drift

I must have to admit i agree, maybe we do need probely just the one wise old head in the team, someone who has been there and done it and could show the team  the way forward and steady everythink.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
 I mean we don't want to get into the  Arsene Wenger  ' they didn't let my pretty boys play '  mode .
    That could have been what Scott was getting at ..

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
personally, and this goes against what most on here think but I don't think we need "brick sh*t houses" or a physical presence. The teams with brick outhouses in this league, namely Gloucester and Trinity are both struggling near the bottom so for me it isn't the answer. Rob Scott makes me laugh, if any fan had said that about the players he'd have railed off about too high expectations etc. etc.

For me and this is going to be controversial, I think he and Paul need to take their share of the blame too. Scott and Hurst where questioned on another thread and I think the poster had a valid point. Not changing them that would be insane, but at the same time think changing the entire team would be equally insane which is what a few of you are talking about. Here's some of the reasons to my mind what is contributing to our lack of form:

1) Tactics. S&H insist on playing long ball from 1st to last minute. Last season and the early part of this we mixed it up a bit, played passing football when we could and if that wasn't working went long. All we do now is play long and even poor sides like Redditch and Gloucester are coping with it. So it's no surpirise that a half decent side like Worcester won at a bit of a canter, once they sussed all we do is hit it long it was far too easy for them.

2) If we are to play long ball why do S&H insist on playing DD. I'm not knocking Danny's overall contribution but he wins <50% of headers, I'd say considerably less.

3) Their signings: they got them right at the start of the season, Murphy and Jelly have both slotted into the side and have been consistent performers, but the rest:

Nyoni, looked good at the back but can't help thinknig it was inevitable he'd go back to Wednesday after been kicked about in centre mid for 90 mins, far too young for that role and shows what a great job Church Sleath etc. do.

Korantang, looked physically lacking last year and hasn't improved and has been bullied off the ball in every game I've seen. Waste of time he's not up to the rough and tumble of this league.

Josh Burge and John Williams, both anonymous and moved on quickly, although to be fair this quick decision was the correct one.

And the worst of the lot Rory Coleman, been a waste of a place ever since he arrived and the team has virtually played with 10 men for the last 2 games against Redditch and Worcester. Needs to be sent back to Scunny asap.

I think S&H are still a long way short of the finished article and have much to learn, I'm not proposing getting rid but highlighting some of their shortcomings. In the same way the players are taking a slating from management and fans and they have got us to 5th ffs. They're young like the managers and have much to learn but IMO if we stick with them next year or maybe the year after they'll be good enough to win this league and hold their own in the league above.

Just trying to open some proper debate instead of just saying "get some big lads in, that'll sort it". If it was that easy everyone would get big lads in...

Edit: I stand by some of my points from last night but was still a bit angry when I made them. In the cold light of day to be fair to Worcester they where just more streetwise than us, knowing when to go down, what sort of niggly fouls they could get away with and how they could influence the ref. Not the sort of team/performance I'd like to watch week in week out and still don't like their fans either.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:08:42 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
Looking at the Worcester forum it sounds as if we were the thugs in their eyes ???
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »
Woad, good post. Some salient points, especially the hoof ball, which all too often result in a 'turn-over'.

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
A brilliant post that Woad Pilgrim. Completely agree with you on all aspects. Nice to see some logical reasoning and realistic views.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
If it was that easy everyone would get big lads in...

I think they have, we didn't play a bully boy team in the first two months of the season.  The pitches turned to mud baths and that is all we've seen since.

We need to learn how to get results on pitches you can't play on.  Like you said, get clever, get freekicks in good positions, play for corners and not down the middle.  Time after time on Saturday they played the channel, can't remember us turning their back four like that once.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
Lots to agree with there, Woad

Can't help feeling that the reason we play long ball so much is because the defence is struggling (for fitness as much as anything), so the first and easiest option is clear it long.  We've struggled since Murphy got injured - a lot of people seemed to underestimate his value to the team.

The wingers haven't been effective recently - not sure if that's because they're not playing well or because we're not playing to their strengths?  (probably a bit of both)

Would we be better off playing 4-3-3 with Church Clarke Sleath in midfield? (personally I don't think 4-3-3 has ever worked for us for any period of time, but it could work in a one off game?)

Finally, have Yates and Newsham upset the managers in some way, or are they both still carrying injuries?  Newy got 29 goals last season now can't even get off the bench when we're desperate  for a goal.  On Saturday Yates was taken off ahead of Coleman (who was having an absolute stinker) when we needed a goal - why not go with Yates and Semple when we needed to attack?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
4-3-3 was used at Droylsden. It didn't work.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
In a lighter vein , 4 3 3  doesn't work for me in F.M 2009 . . .
 Remember going to Accrington in 1998? and seeing Greg Fee operating a very robust 3 5 2 with wing-backs .
  Mind you the plentiful crosses were going over the strikers heads (Cavell & Chambers? ) .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
That may work - Jelley and Semple as wing-backs.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
It worked for Liverpool ! (v Chelsea )

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
Looking at the Worcester forum it sounds as if we were the thugs in their eyes ???
Their fans only saw what they wanted to see. All the gamesmanship from their players I listed happened. Can't say I blame them they're only defending their club, I did the same when other fans used to say the same things about us under Ev*ns. Looking back I realise how wrong I was but at the time it doesn't seem that way, I'm sure they'll learn much the same if their team plays like that every week.

What does make me laugh though is the way they think that beating us twice makes them better than us. Using that theory we're better than York who are in turn better than Rotherham which makes Worcester better than them, it also means Stevenage are better than Newcastle. So might as well scrap the table and give em our play-off place...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:03:21 PM by woad_pilgrim »

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
Lots to agree with there, Woad

Can't help feeling that the reason we play long ball so much is because the defence is struggling (for fitness as much as anything), so the first and easiest option is clear it long.  We've struggled since Murphy got injured - a lot of people seemed to underestimate his value to the team.

The wingers haven't been effective recently - not sure if that's because they're not playing well or because we're not playing to their strengths?  (probably a bit of both)

Would we be better off playing 4-3-3 with Church Clarke Sleath in midfield? (personally I don't think 4-3-3 has ever worked for us for any period of time, but it could work in a one off game?)

Finally, have Yates and Newsham upset the managers in some way, or are they both still carrying injuries?  Newy got 29 goals last season now can't even get off the bench when we're desperate  for a goal.  On Saturday Yates was taken off ahead of Coleman (who was having an absolute stinker) when we needed a goal - why not go with Yates and Semple when we needed to attack?

An interesting theory about the long ball BP and could quite conceivably be accurate.

Agree about the 4-3-3 that could be an effective tactic against the right team. Personally I thought that we were the better side at Droylsden until they scored. Second half they blew us away but another game it may work. A for instance was when we played Nunny at home, they had 3 in midfield and basically outnumbered us, I'd guess the return game is an ideal opportunity to try 4-3-3 and match them like for like.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
I'd only use 4-3-3 away - too often at home it turns into 4-5-1

But the key is to pass the ball well, which we aren't doing at the moment