Author Topic: Boston United's Paul Bastock 'shocked' at not being offered new deal  (Read 1389 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
A DEVASTATED Paul Bastock has revealed his departure from Boston United came as a "massive shock".

The Pilgrims' legendary keeper was told he would not be offered a new deal by manager Jason Lee on Sunday.

STUNNED: Paul Bastock has been released by Boston United boss Jason Lee.

Winger Ryan Semple, midfielder Chris Hall and defender Kevin Austin were also told they had no future at York Street.

But it is the departure of record appearance holder Bastock that was perhaps the biggest surprise.

The crestfallen keeper says he is deeply unhappy at the way his departure has been handled.

Bastock believes he should have been informed before Saturday's home game with Guiseley and given the chance to say goodbye to the United fans.

"When Jason told me, it came as a massive shock," he confessed.

"I asked him why and he just said he wanted to freshen things up. That was it.

"I've been in the game a long time and it's the first time I've been told (about his future) over the phone.

"In the past, it's always been done face-to-face, which is how it should be done. I think doing it over the phone is a cop out.

"It's been handled shockingly to be honest. I would like to have been told a couple of weeks ago and had chance to say goodbye to the fans like Canners (Lee Canoville) did on Saturday.

"I'm not coming for another legend walkabouts around the pitch. I've done that once. I feel really disappointed and quite bitter to be honest."

The 42-year-old insists he is fit enough to play on for at least another two seasons and does not believe his age should have counted against him.

"Only a couple of weeks ago, I sat down with my wife and I talked about finishing at the end of the season," he revealed.

"I said my body felt good and that I could play on for another couple of years and she said, if I felt that way, that I should carry on.

"I think I've had a really good season. I haven't seen a better keeper in this league.

"And it's not always been that enjoyable. With the way we've played, I've been left exposed at times.

"Jase (Jason Lee) might say it's because of my age, but I'm not having that. I feel fitter than I have done for years."

Since the weekend, Bastock has been inundated with messages of support and thanks.

"I've had so many messages from people on social media, Facebook and Twitter, it's unbelievable and very touching," he added.

Bastock later Tweeted: "Gutted. Wanted to do over 700 (appearances). Still Boston till I die mind."

He ended his second spell with the Pilgrims with 679 appearances and 205 clean sheets for the club.