Author Topic: Chelmsford City Match Thread  (Read 5727 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Chelmsford City Match Thread
« on: August 11, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

Not sure there'll be many replies to this thread, as I reckon we only had 6-8 supporters at the game - reflecting the fact that this was probably a bit too far away for most people when it comes to pre-season friendlies. It wasn't a great watch either, but that was more borne out by the presence of an athletics track around the perimeter of the pitch. You never get much of an atmosphere in that type of stadium. The five hour return journey (not to mention the price of petrol) would have been more worthwhile if the facilities at Chelmsford had been better.

Line-up today was surprising. With it being the last friendly I'd expected us to go with our strongest side, but this wasn't it. Gareth Jelleyman and Ian Ross have already been named as captain and vice captain for the current season, but both began the game on the bench. As did leading scorer and player-of-the-year Marc Newsham. All three must surely start at Droylsden?

Conor Marshall played right back and Gary Silk moved across to the left. I thought Silk was perhaps a little bit wrong footed in that position. I'd expect Silk to be back on the right come next week, with Jelleyman on the left and Marshall probably on the bench.

Nathan Stainsfield was captain for the day and, not for the first time this pre-season, was probably our best player. The loan signing Matt Wilson also had a decent game, but perhaps gave away a few too many free kicks for mistimed tackles. That might improve as he gets more game time.

Mark Jones partnered Korey Dyer-Stewart up front. Next week I'd expect the front line to be Weir-Daley and Newsham. The manager now has to make a decision on Dyer-Stewart. He didn't have his best game today and limped off injured, but on the evidence of the full pre-season, I think he offers something a little bit different to our other forwards; if he fits within our budget and remembering that he's only eighteen, then I think he's worth a chance.

Overall I thought the two sides were fairly evenly matched until Chelmsford scored. Their goalscorer was Anthony Cook, who appeared on the TV Series Football Icon a couple of years ago and almost earned a professional contract with Chelsea. It was a well taken strike from the edge of the area, and Haystead didn't have a chance. Second goal came from a header and the scoreline probably then flattered Chelmsford. The home side also had one or two other ex-League players from Orient, Cambridge and Dagenham & Redbridge.

One other gripe. Why do referees insist on calling time on precisely 45 minutes in pre season friendlies? By my stop-watch the referee blew the half-time whistle after playing 4 seconds of overtime, and the full-time whistle after eight seconds. The layout of Chelmsford was such that the ball often took an eternity to be returned into play. There were two or three occasions for example when Ben Milnes had to personally retrieve the ball from behind the shot put area before he could take a corner. (There were ball boys at the side of the pitch but not behind the goals). There were two or three occasions when the physios came onto the pitch and the nature of the occasion also meant there were plenty of substitutions. All told, I reckon we saw no more than 80 minutes worth of football today. From a player match time point of view and from a spectator value-for-money point of view, the ref was wrong to call time when he did.

peterfoster

• View Profile
Re: Chelmsford City Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »

The five hour return journey (not to mention the price of petrol) would have been more worthwhile if the facilities at Chelmsford had been better.

In what ways do you consider the facilities at Chelmsford to be deficient, leicester pilgrim....

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »

The five hour return journey (not to mention the price of petrol) would have been more worthwhile if the facilities at Chelmsford had been better.

In what ways do you consider the facilities at Chelmsford to be deficient, leicester pilgrim....

On reflection, "facilities" might have been the wrong choice of word on the back of a long drive home. The Social Club was well set up and the main stand itself was of a good design. It's just that I prefer to watch football from close to the action and not from the other side of the an athletic's trackout. Maybe "layout" would have been the correct word to use. I've visited plenty of similar setups in the past - Grantham Town, Newport County's old ground, Corby's old ground and Winsford United (with a greyhound track) spring to mind. But somehow the stands at Chelmsford seemed even further from the action. Incidentally, what is the distance from the front row of the main stand to the touchline?

peterfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »

On reflection, "facilities" might have been the wrong choice of word on the back of a long drive home. The Social Club was well set up and the main stand itself was of a good design. It's just that I prefer to watch football from close to the action and not from the other side of the an athletic's trackout. Maybe "layout" would have been the correct word to use. I've visited plenty of similar setups in the past - Grantham Town, Newport County's old ground, Corby's old ground and Winsford United (with a greyhound track) spring to mind. But somehow the stands at Chelmsford seemed even further from the action. Incidentally, what is the distance from the front row of the main stand to the touchline?

I'm not sure of the precise distance from the front row of the stand to the touchline but I suspect it's a mere fraction of the distance from the touchline to the back row of the stand at, say, Old Trafford.

But I note your preference for preferring to watch football from "close to the action" and although this may sound a bit "my other car is a Porsche-ish" for league games we shift mobile elevated terracing directly behind the goals INSIDE the running track (which improves the atmosphere of the stadium immensely) but because the season proper hasn't yet commenced this terracing has yet to be pressed into service.

Here's a photo of one of the two stands of mobile terracing. We're rather proud of it as we think we were the first club to think of the idea for improving the matchday experience for those watching football at grounds which include a running track-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/venthawktree/5656404217/

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
Looks really good full and it wouldn't surprise me to see it replicated elsewhere soon.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
Oh, no. Mobile terracing. That would just be too tempting for Boston fans.  ;D

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Peter, its a shame you're at home on September 29th. I was going to ask if you could lend your mobile terracing to Bradford Park Avenue for our away game there...

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »

I'm not sure of the precise distance from the front row of the stand to the touchline but I suspect it's a mere fraction of the distance from the touchline to the back row of the stand at, say, Old Trafford.

But I note your preference for preferring to watch football from "close to the action" and although this may sound a bit "my other car is a Porsche-ish" for league games we shift mobile elevated terracing directly behind the goals INSIDE the running track (which improves the atmosphere of the stadium immensely) but because the season proper hasn't yet commenced this terracing has yet to be pressed into service.

Here's a photo of one of the two stands of mobile terracing. We're rather proud of it as we think we were the first club to think of the idea for improving the matchday experience for those watching football at grounds which include a running track-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/venthawktree/5656404217/
But at OT, you are elevated upwards and therefore get a good view.  Being 4 rows up means nothing when you're 20 metres away.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
Oh, no. Mobile terracing. That would just be too tempting for Boston fans.  ;D

I quite like the idea, can we hire some to take with us to places that don't have one.  How long does it take to set up, we need never get wet at the equivalent of a dog walker track behind a goal again.

I'll never complain at the view at BPA however,  looked a perfectly good view to me as we ran onto the pitch to celebrate promotion.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
BPA wasn't segregated which resulted in BUFC fans taking over the main stand and pretty much the rest of the stadium! Hopefully there will be a similar experience somewhere next April/May!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
BPA wasn't segregated which resulted in BUFC fans taking over the main stand and pretty much the rest of the stadium! Hopefully there will be a similar experience somewhere next April/May!

Win it at Chester with 3 to spare, I'd take that, or take over Histon to bring the trophy back for the last day?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.