Author Topic: vs Worcester  (Read 9247 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
vs Worcester
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
What a lack lustre shower we appeared to be today, don't know whether the team were still in shock at the exit from the FA Cup, but they just didn't seem up for it today :(

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: vs Worcester
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
Age old problem we've yet to solve.  Nearly win it at one end, lost it at the other, we're too honest, open and need a reducer in the middle to stop teams waltzing through us at will.  Awful result when we needed a morale booster.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
Yeah poor performance today. First half we took a battering but somehow managed to go in 1-1. Second half was better, a more even game. Difference between winning and losing was Smith's shot going agonisingly wide then a minute later their player scoring from a near identical position.

Personally today was the day I realised we're not going to be much better than last season and another season of mid table mediocrity beckons. Still lack the consistency to challenge for the play-offs. Beating Chester and Halifax mean diderly squat if we keep losing games like today.

Worcester today were without 3 players suspended and at least 2 injured yet still looked much better than us, that's the yardstick for us if we are to start challenging near the top of this league. I get fed up of seeing players saying how good we are in the papers yet no consistently producing the goods.

So the Worcester voodoo continues, last 8 games now reads 1 win, 1 draw and 6 defeats. Stalybridge on Tuesday, last 3 visits have been 3-0, 3-1 and 3-0. We have never so much as taken a point there either so another bogey side (at Bower Fold at least), not expecting much tbh although I will be there  :(

Tony Goor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
It would be interesting to see the shot count today.  Worcester seemed to shoot on sight, on target, over the top, and deflected away.  How often did we shoot at their goal?  Not many.  Get close to goal, lets try and get a bit closer . . . oh no, the defender has taken it off us . . . how unfair chaps!  Never mind, there's always next week, and those poor people on the side getting colder and colder will be back next time . . . they always will . . . won't they!

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »

.....................Personally today was the day I realised we're not going to be much better than last season and another season of mid table mediocrity beckons. Still lack the consistency to challenge for the play-offs. Beating Chester and Halifax mean diderly squat if we keep losing games like today. .......................

Steady WP. Keep the faith. You'll have the others really moaning!  ;)
Remember your October 14th post.  :) Keep the faith.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:30:06 PM by Myleftfoot »
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
In particular thought Weir-Daley and Fairclough were poor today - and Milnes too lightweight. For the winning goal, our defence showed their lack of experience by diving in - pretty much a schoolboy error.

As said above, these are the sort of games we need to be making sure we at least get a point from.

On another note, I was embarrassed to be associated with some Boston 'fans' in the main stand today. One on his own, probably about 13 or 14 shouted at the linesman in front of us - calling him a c*** - on at least two occasions (the linesman was visibly shocked at this). Another young lad to my right - probably under the age of ten was effing and blinding (sat with his parents !) and another shouted at the linesman calling him a bald-headed t***. They were even blaming the linesman for Worcester's winning goal. I know home fans are naturally biased but come on. And as for the foul mouthed stuff, I know this has always gone on at football matches and will continue to be the case but coming from young kids with parents/guardians in attendance - no thanks.

DL

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
Got to agree with you Daniel, these people are an embarrassment to the club and to the human race.

On another note  ;)  I actually felt a sense of embarrassment when we equalised. Thats a first for me, but Worcester were so obviously the better team I found it difficult to watch and was seriously considering going to the Eagle at half time for a pint...wish I'd gone now!
I try to stay positive but the better teams in this league are able to keep the ball and look comfortable on the ball; we don't.
Our midfield and attack constantly squandered possession and appeared unable, or unwilling, to take a shot.
Man for man Worcester were better on the day and deserved the win  :'(

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
The officials were shocking today, getting many easy decisions wrong. Stainsfield got pulled around every time he went up for a corner/free kick today yet every decision went against him. Why they were given a free kick when their 'keeper kicked the ball at Newsham with no infringement from Newsham resulted in a free kick was shocking. A couple of times a goal kick was given when the correct decision was a corner with the ref in a good position. That aside though we were poor overall and probably need a couple of new faces at the moment. Need a replacement for Willson as a priority, an experienced yet technically able defender/midfielder could swing games like today in our favour. The inexperience in defence cost us, (although a fit Silk would help this problem) and someone in midfield to steady the ship would add a bit of balance, Milnes and Ross are too similar, if we can't get anyone in maybe trying Silk in a defencive midfield role or giving Reed a game who despite his stature gets in people's faces and covers a lot of ground and makes the opposition think about were he is going.

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
we were awful today. The midfield offered little, and the defence looked nervy throughout. Nothing for the strikers to feed off. Bad day all round. And, Stalybridge on Tuesday. You all know what our record there is like - Hoping I'm wrong, but that stat, coupled with today's performance doesn't bode well.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »

Listening to Jason Lee's interview after the game, he said he thought our front four of Newsham, Jones, Fairclough and Weir-Daley were all off the pace today. I wouldn't disagree with that and, when you consider our lack of goals from the rest of the team, we were always going to be struggling to get anything out of the game. Still, if Kallum Smith had put his chance away just before they scored, I'm pretty sure we would have somehow stolen all three points.

What I don't understand about Jason Lee today though is his non-use of the substitutes. Last week we were forced into using 17-year-old Charley Sanders from the bench and Lee admitted he did well in his short appearance against Altrincham. He followed that up with a hat-trick for the youth team and deserved his place on the bench today. But with Lee then admitting that all of our strikers were out of sorts today, surely that was the time to give Sanders another chance? Particularly in the final five minutes when we were 2-1 down?

We can't blame the officials for the result, but the one criticism I would raise of the referee relates to the amount of time he added to the end of the second half (only one minute). Ever since the boards were introduced, I can't remember so little time ever being added to the end of a game. As I understand it refs are supposed to allow 30 seconds for each goal scored and 30 seconds for each substitution, so the Worcester winner and the introduction of Kallum Smith would have accounted for that minute on their own. Were there no throw-ins, free kicks or corners throughout the entire rest of the second half? Did the ball not go out the ground on at least a couple of occasions? It's a good job we're managed by Jason Lee and not by Alex Ferguson.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
I'm usually happy to accept when the opposition are better than us but I didn't really see that in the first half like most people seem to be saying. I just thought it was very lacklustre all round - combined with the lack of crowd/atmosphere it almost seemed like a pre-season friendly being played to me. The ref did tolerate a lot of shirt pulling/shoving but it didn't cost us anything - he could have very easily blown up for a foul on the keeper in the 'buildup' (scramble) before our goal.

Questions will no doubt be asked concerning JL after our recent streak had silenced them for a while. Personally I still think he's doing as good a job as anyone would. Genuinely thought we'd turned a corner up until last week but was very worried that the way we exited the Cup would knock the wind out of our sails for sometime and that's seemingly come true today. I'm 90% sure we'll make steady progress on last year and finish top 8, although many people would use such a (hypothetical) placing as an argument to remove him. As Daniel said Fairclough and SWD were both poor today; we would've been better off if their suspensions had kicked in instantly... I fear their stupid dismissals last week might cost us much more than that glamour tie at Burton. Incidentally subbing off Jones looked like a bad decision at the time but in hindsight is probably a very prudent one from Jason: while Fairclough/SWD are missing he's going to have to shoulder most of the burden upfront and I believe he may still be struggling with some niggles to his back.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
shame those bans didn't start this week. Everyone of our players looked of the pace but swd and bf looked like they had already started there bans.

Oh well bad game. onwards and upwards next up is the boston united bermuda triangle.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »

.....................Personally today was the day I realised we're not going to be much better than last season and another season of mid table mediocrity beckons. Still lack the consistency to challenge for the play-offs. Beating Chester and Halifax mean diderly squat if we keep losing games like today. .......................

Steady WP. Keep the faith. You'll have the others really moaning!  ;)
Remember your October 14th post.  :) Keep the faith.
I stand by both comments. I do believe Jason will be a good manager whether that be here or somewhere else. I do believe the side are starting to show signs of their true potential but have a way to go and the true test was building on the Halifax win.

In the 6 games I stated, so far it's played 2 lost 2. If we lose at Stalybridge like I expect any momentum built by the 5 wins out of 6 run will be lost and I can only see a season of struggle with the FA Trophy our only hope of success. Sorry to be doom and gloom but we must start getting results fast before we're too far behind to catch up. I agree with JL on his interview after the game, our problem is we need to play well to win, we need to find that knack of playing poorly and still picking up results be they wins or draws...

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Marks out of Ten. as I saw it !!!.

Newstead = 6
Jellyman  = 6
Ward       = 5
Stainfield = 6
Marshall   = 7
Fairclough= 5
Milnes      = 5
Ross        = 5
SW Daly   =5
Jones       = 6
Newsham = 6
sub Smith= 6

Jason Lee  = 5 Lack of subs, lack of passion shown on the touchline, might as well have a cardboard cut-out of Tommy Taylor, or let the fitness coach do the job.
Referee  = 6

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
Highlights from the worcester end.............. warning, it can be painful to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_C9pc-VALU&feature=youtu.be
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds