Author Topic: Leroy Chambers  (Read 8128 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Leroy Chambers
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Can I just say a massive 'well done' to Craig for finally tracking down the legendary Leroy - he remains my favourite ever Boston player and it'll be fantastic to see him back at York Street.

It'd be good if we could also track down a video of that classic 3-0 win over Morecambe in which he was so instrumental - the goals were shown on MOTD at the time, so someone somewhere must surely have it on VHS?

Anyway, great work Craig - keep 'em coming!

Steviemas

• View Profile
Re: Leroy Chambers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »
 Would also love to see the highlights of that game, one of the best atmospheres i remember at york street, the town end were awesome that day, agree with Pete B, leroy was a class player, nice to see him recognised.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
good to see him back, although the picture on the OS is in black and white and yet he only played 11 years ago...

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »
Can I just say a massive 'well done' to Craig for finally tracking down the legendary Leroy - he remains my favourite ever Boston player and it'll be fantastic to see him back at York Street.

It'd be good if we could also track down a video of that classic 3-0 win over Morecambe in which he was so instrumental - the goals were shown on MOTD at the time, so someone somewhere must surely have it on VHS?

Anyway, great work Craig - keep 'em coming!

I am promising nothing, as I haven't yet looked to ensure that I still have it, but I might just have that on a VHS somewhere.  If I have, does anyone have the ability to transfer it into the 21st Century? I'll happily lend the VHS to someone trustworthy who can upload it, as long as I get it back!!!!!!!!!

Can also remember Leroy's name sake, Steve Chambers scoring from miles out in that game.

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »
Found It!!!!!!  Bit grainy, but if someone can transfer VHS to a format enabling it to be put on internet, PM me with your details and I will send the tape - upon your assurance that it will be returned to me as soon as possible after completion.

Also on the tape is the build up to the Chester game in the next round, the post match video of losing at Ilson the next season, goals against Kingstonian in the first season back in the Conference and Hereford - the Sky game. Might also be the Hayes game on there, which I have been unable to bring myself to watch given what happened thereafter - yes Evans - thanks a feckin bunch. Never been able to watch it after learning that the victory, and the season was a hollow sham.   :'(

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:12:41 PM »
I thought you'd be pleased Pete.

I also have the highlights of the Morecambe game on VHS. My brother-in-law is a computer whizz so I'll ask him if he can transfer it in a couple of weeks. Didn't Steve Chambers score from miles out?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
I believe he did Johnny...

I'll be really interested to see that video after all these years and see how the goals compare with the descriptions in the classic report I wrote for Ken that resides somewhere on his site - it was written about ten years after the game and from memory so I'd expect it to be hopelessly wrong!

Thanks to good old Ken, I did get my hands on Scott Dalton's old Standard report a couple of years ago, mainly because it described the Leroy Chambers banner I had hung from the Main Stand, but he didn't go into a huge amount of detail, so whether my odd 'kung-fu volley' line holds true remains to be seen!

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
Hi Pete

Leroy against Morecambe footage is now on Youtube! Sorry for the six-month delay but it took not one but two visits to my brother-in-law in London to overcome my lack of techilogical savvy. You can watch it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU3ov-IL9o8

And because it was originally on the same tape here's the Goals on Sunday footage from us playing Scunthorpe in 2002-03 season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg1dBGrutI8

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
Excellent work Johnny!

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
Quality.I'd forgotten how good some of the finishing was vs Morcombe.Leroy was a star!!.When he came back as a legend earlier in the season he looked as fit as a butchers dog.Looked like he could still play.
Great stuff from the Scunny game-some top players there,Redfearn,Bennet,Balmer etc.Just a pity Neil Thompson was treated so shoddily,things could have been very different down the line.Shame the E*ans apologists got their way and the Blue Square special(needs) one came back.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
That was pretty good side Greg got together, its just a shame it ran out of steam after Xmas and out muscled by teams like Leek and Marine. We finished up top FA Cup goalscorers that season too in the whole competition. Steve Williams got 20 odd goals that season but had a dodgy attitude.......shame.

Hey, OCM, we're not allowed to harp back to E*ans and his apologists ya know, its all old history........mind you, I bet most of they saying 'its history' were clapping and cheering that shameful night he swaggered back against Southend...... ::)

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
I still remember seeing Steve Chambers' goal on MOTD, a 25-yard screamer from what I can recall. There have been some goals from the Premiership that I have on MOTD since and none have stayed in my mind as long.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
Look who was in goal for Scunny that day..

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »
Look who was in goal for Scunny that day..
I wonered if it was or not.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:12 AM »

Great stuff from the Scunny game-some top players there,Redfearn,Bennet,Balmer etc.Just a pity Neil Thompson was treated so shoddily,things could have been very different down the line.Shame the E*ans apologists got their way and the Blue Square special(needs) one came back.