Author Topic: Ronaldo Goal  (Read 8739 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Ronaldo Goal
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
Through 50+ years of attending Boston United matches I will have witnessed many memorable goals, with ‘the best’ being remembered for the occasion as much as how brilliant they were. Two that stand out as being both for me were Jim Conde’s diving header in the FA Cup 3rd Round Replay v First Division Derby County at York Street in 1974 and, as Ken has already alluded to, Chris Cook’s goal at Wembley in 1985. Although we were 2-0 down at the time in both matches the cheers that greeted both goals were as loud and joyful as any I’ve experienced and sparked hope that we just might get back to 2-2.

Probably, though, the best goal I ever saw was scored by the legendary George Best in the only match that I ever saw him play live – and, most likely, the only game I ever saw refereed by Jack Taylor – the 1974 World Cup Final referee. It was Peterborough United v Fulham in a Football League Cup Replay at London Road in September 1976.

Here’s an extract from something I just found on an unofficial Fulham website to describe the goal:-

Fulham – then in the old Second Division (now Championship) - entered the Football League Cup at the second round stage in 1976/77 and drew Fourth Division (League Two) Peterborough United. Posh had taken three games to dispose of Reading in the first round and they must have been intrigued to be drawn against a Fulham side with its gathering of some real great ‘golden oldies’.

In early August manager Alec Stock announced had announced that Fulham had all but sealed an audacious transatlantic double deal – the return of prodigal son Rodney Marsh and, even more newsworthy, the return to English football of George Best more than two-and-a-half years since he’d walked out on Manchester United.

Marsh, a maverick forward most recently with Tampa Bay Rowdies but who’d made his professional debut for Fulham in March 1963, was “pleased to be coming home”. Best, a footballing genius in his heyday, who had rediscovered his passion for football with Los Angeles Aztecs, just wanted to play – “All I want to do is get out on the field and be allowed to play.”

As the tie with Peterborough neared, Marsh had become a Fulham player and was set to make his second debut for the club. Best, though, remained in limbo, with the Football League in no hurry to sanction his switch. Another famous name Bobby Moore was also still in the Fulham ranks, having himself just returned from a summer spell with San Antonio Thunder.

After a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage the replay took place at a packed-out London Road a week later. Several jeers from the home fans could be heard as a certain George Best took to the field – the Irishman had at last been given clearance to play for the Whites and had celebrated at the weekend by scoring the winner against Bristol Rovers just 71 seconds into his League debut for Fulham – but, as was his won’t, Bestie went on to mesmerise players and supporters alike.

Actually, Marsh was arguably Fulham’s star player on that night, but even he was left open-mouthed five minutes before the break. Best received the ball from Marsh not too far inside the Peterborough half, but with very little options available to pass it on. So from standing still with the ball under his foot, and seemingly inviting a Posh player to tackle him, Best arrogantly flipped the ball into the air with one foot and volleyed the ball with the other oh-so-sweetly beyond the Posh ‘keeper Eric Steele and into the top corner of the net. The 16,476 present were stunned into total jaw-dropping silence, which, after a second or so, not only transformed into a deafening roar of approval but also a standing ovation from the fans on all four sides of the ground.

On one of the many TV programmes made to celebrate George Best’s brilliance after his death a variety of his former playing colleagues were asked to rate the best ever goal they saw him score – and Rodney Marsh said this one was the one for him. Had there been film footage of it still in existence Marsh was sure it would be in film archives as one of Best’s top three.
[/size]

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
For a team goal rather than a spectacular finish, Dayle Southwell's at Chorley in November 2014.

They had a corner which Joel Dixon caught and quickly threw the ball out to Kyle Dixon who had sprinted to the halfway line to receive it. He played it back to Mark Jones who hit a crossfield pass half the length of the pitch which Kaine Felix, galloping down the wing as he did, controlled with his first touch and crossed with his second. Dayle puts it in at the near post.

All five players had to make decisions quickly and then execute what they intended without a mistake for the goal to happen, which I find more impressive than a spectacular goal from 25 yards. Though that didn't stop going on and on about the one I got like that a few years ago.

By the by I checked it was the two Dixons using Ken's history - what do fans of clubs without such a comprehensive website do in these sorts of discussions? So thanks Ken!

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »
....and further to remembering a goal from 40+ years ago, here's a more recent one from almost exactly two years ago that I'll remember for as long (if I make it to 100 that is!!) - the Grant Roberts 30-yard stunner in the sunshine in the 5-0 win at Stalybridge Celtic.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
Mark Jones scored a cracker at home to Stockport a couple of years ago, getting the ball in our hald and smashing into the top corner from outside the box.

https://media.giphy.com/media/VOyEZEBlP3a8M/giphy.gif

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »
....and further to remembering a goal from 40+ years ago, here's a more recent one from almost exactly two years ago that I'll remember for as long (if I make it to 100 that is!!) - the Grant Roberts 30-yard stunner in the sunshine in the 5-0 win at Stalybridge Celtic.

Yes, the Grant Roberts cracker for me.  We were directly in the way of it and the Stalybridge net saved us from being taken out!
United we stand..................

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DhxKy6tgoA - Slow Motion video of Mark Jones scoring against Stockport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24rzl_S7rg  - Slow Motion video of Grant Roberts scoring at Stalybridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSghvN3zwx4  - Slow Motion video of Kaine Felix scoring against Nuneaton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haE-GijWvcc  - Slow Motion video of Zak Mills scoring against North Ferriby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfrYPfj9rrw  - Kaine Felix scoring against Stockport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqM2x_jRAH8  Adam Roscoe's overhead kick for Chorley

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »
Mark Jones scored a cracker at home to Stockport a couple of years ago, getting the ball in our hald and smashing into the top corner from outside the box.

https://media.giphy.com/media/VOyEZEBlP3a8M/giphy.gif

Yes the Ferriby play off season. For me one of the finest goals ever smashed in the Town End! I have never seen video of it and was in main stand when jonesy took a short pass off Zak mills on the half way line. He looked like he was going nowhere held it up well side stepped a midfielder then just smashed it in the top corner from 30yds keeper didn't blinking