Author Topic: Atlético Club Quiebra Parque Avenida(1988) Ltd  (Read 10365 times)

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Atlético Club Quiebra Parque Avenida(1988) Ltd
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:35 AM »
This could go on. It is in the records of the FA that they are the same club, as are Accrington Stanley (but not the Accrington of the 19th century), Newport County and Maidstone United, but not Darlington, Halifax, Chester, or Gateshead. I think we should agree to differ, but the surviving BPA fans that are of my age and who are known to me, deem it to be one and the same club that they support and always have supported.

I would suggest that a club exists while it lives in the memory of a true supporter. I have a Scottish friend who insists to this day that he is a supporter of Third Lanark.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »
Anyway, I believe were originally just Bradford, but added Park Avenue in brackets to distinguish them from Bradford City. They now have no brackets  :P

Should they now be called Bradford (Cemetery Road), then?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 01:41:02 PM »
This could go on. It is in the records of the FA that they are the same club, as are Accrington Stanley (but not the Accrington of the 19th century), Newport County and Maidstone United, but not Darlington, Halifax, Chester, or Gateshead. I think we should agree to differ, but the surviving BPA fans that are of my age and who are known to me, deem it to be one and the same club that they support and always have supported.

How does that work then? The current Maidstone United were originally a youth club called Maidstone Invicta, something they acknowledge in their own official history. I see no attempt by the current Maidstone United to claim they are the same club that used to play in the league.

The situation in Scotland regarding Rangers is legally quite complex. I see Celtic fans took out an advert in a newspaper at the weekend stating the Rangers they played in the cup final is not the same Rangers they played previously. That one will probably run and run, and with the emotive sectarian bollocks associated with Scottish football I doubt that'll ever be truly settled.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
It's all a bit like Axl Rose's band claiming to be Guns and Roses without Slash :-)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »
It's all a bit like Axl Rose's band claiming to be Guns and Roses without Slash :-)
Made it real Ferret :)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 11:26:23 PM »
Anyway, I believe were originally just Bradford, but added Park Avenue in brackets to distinguish them from Bradford City. They now have no brackets  :P

Should they now be called Bradford (Cemetery Road), then?

No, because the club name is Bradford Park Avenue, which distinguishes them from Bradford City, without the need for parentheses...

Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »

Hi, long time Avenue fan here- since 1963. As we may get a game at your place next Saturday, thought I’d drop in and see what was going on.

With regard this topic, and having had some dealings with the FA over the past year or so, I recently took the opportunity to enquire as to Avenue’s registered name. The issue of the club’s continuity regularly crops up, and I was simply curious. The West Riding FA responded with- ‘the way the club have registered for the current season with the West Riding FA is Bradford (Park Avenue) FC.’ Hence, the brackets exist, and the club title you register with the FA, is the name by which you should be officially known, and not what may appear in the written/spoken media.

I assume today’s press; radio & TV don’t get the brackets issue, while Bpa officialdom has probably failed to highlight the fact. No longer playing at Horton Park Avenue, may have something to do with it.

Today’s insolvency rules are very different to those of 1974; it makes the debate almost irrelevant.  BPA’s insolvency differed from that of most other clubs- liquidated or placed into administration in recent years, in that Avenue’s assets were sold off and creditors paid in full, while many other clubs reformed, leaving a trail of financial devastation behind them.

BPA may not be the club or company wound up in 1974, but, have the same name, are located one mile from their former ground, still play in green & white or red, amber & black, while what remains of a fan base, has supported the club over many decades. Neither were they required to add an AFC (Wimbledon, Telford) FC (Halifax Town) Town (Aldershot) or drop a suffix, as in Chester (City.)

People seem to view those clubs- previously in administration or recently liquidated- as having an unbroken history, usually because the new entity continues playing at the same ground. Chester, Aldershot, Halifax, Scarborough, Newport, Maidstone, Wimbledon, Telford and Hereford- when they return, are all new clubs, but perceived as an extension of their former selves. If the Football League can still recognise Accrington Stanley as one of their founding members from 1888- as they did at the start of season 2013/14, and when the third incarnation- at least, I’m damn sure the same courtesy can be afforded Bpa.

Avenue & Stanley are both reformed clubs, closely related to their predecessors. Like a shelf company, BPA were dormant for about twelve years.

However, will Avenue’s 100% winning record continue at York Street this coming weekend? Four league wins from four visits since 2008, plus an FA Cup win in 1956. I took in your recent game at Harrogate, and to be honest, I wasn’t too impressed with your team’s performance.

Up the Avenue.

Odin

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 10:05:05 PM »
Gosh that nearly sent me (us) to sleep. I remember visiting up there once when Boston were playing you, not because of the football or venue but because of the great curry we had on that visit. If you want to take home a happy memory after the game this Saturday you need to get some fish and chips from the chippy close to the ground.