Author Topic: V Wigan  (Read 9532 times)

Pride of Lincolnshire

V Wigan
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »
Well well well. No moans and negative ramblings after todays fabulous match. It was certainly a more entertaing friendly today and after watching us play, I do believe we have the foundations of a confident and competitive squad. Obviously it's not perfect, but with a few additional signings, I honestly think we can hold our own this season. Granted the result wasn't against the Wigan first team, but you have to applaud the manner in which we won. We played some neat football and I was pleasantly surprised how well the players worked together as a team, considering all the new faces. A big well done to all the players.
Very much looking forward to the start of the season.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: V Wigan
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
Work commitments kept me away today. - so thanks P o L for posting a report.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
It was rubbish we're gonna go down with no points prove me wrong PROVE ME WRONG ha ha is that ok for ya  ;D

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
 ;D

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
I would think the managers would be quite happy with todays performance.Solid  showing from the likes of Canners,Jells,Austin and Semple and Hall had his best game so far.Good performances from the two triallists as well.Still room for improvement but much,much better than at Boston Town and Stamford.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »
Must admit I was getting a little worried but after todays game my spirits are really lifted.
Wigan were a good side and the game was competitive. The new lad Milne really grew into his midfield role as the game went on.
Man of the match for me was Chris Hall who won the ball in midfield and distributed it really well.
Most played well and Newsham got 45 minutes setting up the first goal but a little way to go to reach match fitness.
All in all a good workout and the signs of a team gelling together.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
good result, but unfortunately could not be there. caught the second half on endeavour fm. they just seemed to ramble on about everything other than the game. they said it was dull and there was nothing to talk about relating to the play.

not a bad crowd for a pre season friendly. shame we don't play more top sides to boost the budget for the season. the likes of peterborough, norwich and forest would atract good crowds.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Much better! Get Milnes signed up. Austen stood out in defence. Although young, Wigan were a good team. Also nice to watch a game with two teams not intent on kicking great lumps out of each other. Still don't know where the goals will come from though. Can't expect Holgrove and Semple to score every game.

les

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
caught the second half on endeavour fm. they just seemed to ramble on about everything other than the game. they said it was dull and there was nothing to talk about relating to the play.

Dont know what game they were watching. Was a realy good game for a pre-season and the Wigan side were excellent. Most of their players would get a stating line up place at Boston.
Some good saves by both keepers and the bar and post hit several times. Boston probably wanted it more and consequently ran out winners.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »
Well well well. No moans and negative ramblings after todays fabulous match. It was certainly a more entertaing friendly today and after watching us play, I do believe we have the foundations of a confident and competitive squad. Obviously it's not perfect, but with a few additional signings, I honestly think we can hold our own this season. Granted the result wasn't against the Wigan first team, but you have to applaud the manner in which we won. We played some neat football and I was pleasantly surprised how well the players worked together as a team, considering all the new faces. A big well done to all the players.
Very much looking forward to the start of the season.

Hold our own?

We were in the play offs all season last season, the very least we should be doing is looking to push on, not 'hold our own'.

Good result and by the sounds of it some pleasing individual displays too. Lets hope for more in a similar vein.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Good football by both sides in my opnion. I only counted one ball kicked out of the ground which must say something!

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
50 years of playing and watching football and I know nothing.

I thought it was a good entertaining game and was leaving with a smile on my face thinking I'd seen a couple of good triallists and the signs of a team gelling together until somebody put me right and explained that we were rubbish, we're going down this season and Jason and Canners will be out by October.

Keep on smiling.

PS the only consolation, he won't be spending "£11 a week watching that crap". One down, probably only another 50 to go.

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
50 years of playing and watching football and I know nothing.

I thought it was a good entertaining game and was leaving with a smile on my face thinking I'd seen a couple of good triallists and the signs of a team gelling together until somebody put me right and explained that we were rubbish, we're going down this season and Jason and Canners will be out by October.

Keep on smiling.

PS the only consolation, he won't be spending "£11 a week watching that crap". One down, probably only another 50 to go.

he definitely wont be missed, a truely entertaining game. don't think I've said that about a friendly before. played some good stuff, holsgrove and semples tore the defence to pieces, the two trialists impressed too. overall a good performance against a tidy young wigan side.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Really good game today. All those that had written off our season after two friendlies .... hope you think differently now.

Milne impressed in midfield but to to be honest, it was a good solid all round team performance. JJ made some intelligent runs and was unlucky not to score with a header. Importantly, he looked to be keen.

Only disappointment of the day was the admission price. This should have been capped at £10. This wasn't the Wigan first team, but mainly their Under 21 players - although they were pretty good !

DL

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Highlights for me..Milne cross field ball to Jellyman......super spot and execution, very good player hope we can sign him. Fairclough block at the end quick reaction and the cheek overhead back heeel from Hall...thouroughly entertaining....and Suarez could and should have had a couple.