Author Topic: Shaun Pearson set for Mariners move. Lincs Echo today  (Read 4168 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Shaun Pearson set for Mariners move. Lincs Echo today
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
BOSTON UNITED appear set for another battle for compensation with Grimsby Town after Shaun Pearson closed in on a move to Blundell Park.

The Mariners' former Boston joint-bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst look set to have won the battle for the highly-rated central defender, who has rejected a new contract offer from the Pilgrims to pursue his dream of joining the full-time ranks.
Boston will be due a fee for Pearson because the player is under the age of 24 and chairman David Newton is likely to drive a hard bargain.

Newton is taking Grimsby Town, plus Scott and Hurst, to court following the pair's controversial switch from Boston in March.

When contacted yesterday, Pearson refused to confirm he had agreed to join the Mariners, but speculation in North East Lincolnshire is rife that Town have won the battle for his signature.

"I was offered a fantastic deal to stay at Boston, it really made me feel wanted," he said last week.

"But I've told the managers (Jason Lee and Lee Canoville) and the chairman (David Newton) of my decision.

"They've been fantastic and totally understand.

"Part of me wanted to stay and help get the club promoted. But I had to think about my career. It's always been my dream to become a professional footballer and now I've got that chance."

The Pilgrims yesterday re-signed striker Mikel Suarez, who left the club for Worksop in January.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shaun Pearson set for Mariners move. Lincs Echo today
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
He should be playing for a better team than Grimsby!

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
I think if a bigger club had come in for him he would of gone to them. I think Grimsby are the biggest club in for him. The scouts that everyone seems to think came and watched him over last season obviously didnt rate him highly enough to take a chance. He stated that it was a choice between two clubs, Cambridge probably being the other one so Grimsby it is then. Hes going to have to relocate so moving home didnt stop him going to a bigger club in the North or South. Hes been fanstastic for us for two seasons so good luck with him fulfilling his dream of becoming a pro- footballer.

Bartmac

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
He will be gutted if Grimsby fail to get out of the Conference next season, even more if they get relegated!!!

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
yes even better if were promoted! and they went down  i would laugh my socks off ;D  ;D  :D  ;D  :bunny

YCFC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
I have followed this with interest as I know a lot of Shaun's family. Working for a living as well as playing football makes it harder to progress. Becoming a pro will give him the chance to fulfill his ambition.
Training every day and not after a full days work may make the difference to him getting in the football league with or without 'his new club'!!
Grimsby?? Not what I heard at York races the other week!!
It was also interesting to hear about all the clubs who were supposed to be looking at him.
He may be waiting until after his trip to America before making a decision just incase any bigger club comes in......................

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
I'd personally like to see him go to club higher up the Piramid but either way good luck to him and he was great for us the past couple of seasons.

porl99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:27:41 AM »
No confirmation on Pearson yet, but LIAM HEARN has been signed by Grimsby - good signing.

I think the earson and McKeown deal will be announced in the next 7 days.