Author Topic: V Gateshead  (Read 17718 times)

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: V Gateshead
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
He has a knack (with Richards help) of finding a gem or two,look how many players he has brought in and they then went on to play in higher leagues.. That success rate must surely help when approaching new players,as Martyn told me recently as a coach he gets a huge buzz out of the fact that the players were unknown here and then move into Conference or Div 2.. Any young player must see that and want in... There were moans of the squad not being good enough after the first three games of last season but a few have made the move upwards,admittedly some went into same league or lower..

As I said in an earlier post,our two best performances have been against league opposition and with maybe a tweak here and there we may well be in for another roller coaster season and come May be once again pushing the money clubs all the way ...

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
agreed
apart from the "off field" comment...that was a long time ago (the housing thing??)

Wasn't referring to that.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
David Newton certainly thinks so, and when was the last time that guy got anything wrong?!

Exactly, he got the entire food order spot on yesterday (correct change) and the wife said the burger (with onions) Chris Cook did was great.  Which really is what you want from your board members to be honest.

Picked up my season ticket but will be missing the first game, looking forward to Harrogate away and all that follows, but not expecting to be amazed as it will take time.  Clearly there will be those on a downer if we are not 3 up by half time (and some who will still be if we are) but as said on the field DG has earned the right for time.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
Picked up my season ticket but will be missing the first game

Typical - I'm off to my first home opener since Workington. Meant to text and ask if you wanted a beer. Guess I needn't bother now....!

worldwide

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
I find it hard to believe the following read on social media over the weekend, but surprised no one else has mentioned it - that the team stayed overnight in Gateshead - I presume on Friday night ahead of the match. 

What I would like to know is - has the rumour any foundation and if so who paid for the hotel accommodation?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »
I find it hard to believe the following read on social media over the weekend, but surprised no one else has mentioned it - that the team stayed overnight in Gateshead - I presume on Friday night ahead of the match. 

What I would like to know is - has the rumour any foundation and if so who paid for the hotel accommodation?

Why do you want to know ?     
Is it any of our business ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »

I believe it was Saturday night, and the squad presumably had a bonding session on Tyneside. Not a bad idea for 13/14 new players!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

I believe it was Saturday night, and the squad presumably had a bonding session on Tyneside. Not a bad idea for 13/14 new players!

A great idea ,  I,m sure worldwide and those on twitter will agree .

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »
A drinking session? What is the chairman doing to allow this! If the players paid for the stay fair enough but if not I don't want DG to moan about the budget!

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
A drinking session? What is the chairman doing to allow this! If the players paid for the stay fair enough but if not I don't want DG to moan about the budget!

Next you'll be wanting players having no social life whatsoever, lol.  What if they had a drink after the game in the evening, is it hurting anyone ? What if DN paid for the stop over, and the players paid as they would, for their night out which would have been a good team bonding session before the season starts.   Must be a new season closing in on us, KON is back, and moaning, ha,ha.  :bunny :bunny

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
During the past two or three seasons - how many times has the team stayed in a hotel ahead of an important match?

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »
Did DN know about it??? We are a non league club who's running on a tight budget.Why not play somewhere nearer than Gateshead?

worldwide

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »

Why do you want to know ?     
Is it any of our business ?

Didn't it cross your mind why a friendly was arranged nearly 200 miles from Boston.   As KON has posted we are a non league club on a tight budget so why play so far away?

Posters are assuming DN knew about it but when the Chief Executive found out he was (allegedly) non too pleased.
I wonder why?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
Good to get a long distance game in. Prepares the team for the season ahead - Fylde away for example. Playing a game after a long coach ride is different to just hopping over to Stamford. My understanding is that a supporter donated the accommodation funds.

TEP

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
What's Greene's win rate? 50%? 45%?
Howard Wilkinson, Jim Smith? Those managers in the 70s when we were hoovering up titles winning 30 games a season.
DG has done a solid job, much better than those immediately before him, but there must be others with a higher win rate... even the bent fraudster averaged about 50%

I did do an analysis of the performance of all Boston United's managers back in 2011 and the top three on % of games won were Bolland & Taylor (76-77, 64%); Scott & Hurst (09-11, 63%); and Mick Walker (77-78, 61%). Steve Evans only won when he was cheating the taxman and his return was totally disastrous and he ended up nearly the worst manager ever with a win rate of just 41%.

I'll update it when I get a few spare moments to see how Dennis Greene is doing.