Author Topic: Silent Weekends being trialled by Lancs FA  (Read 2398 times)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Silent Weekends being trialled by Lancs FA
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
http://www.lancashirefa.com/news/2013/dec/junior-football-silent-weekend-2014

I understand the logic, but can't see this ever catching on. It'll be like watching football at the theatre, and noise from the sidelines is part and parcel of football. Can they really expect spectators not to shout at football matches? (Insert your own jokes about Gainsborough here).

Willy Gambles Left Boot

• View Profile
Re: Silent Weekends being trialled by Lancs FA
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
I think this is a great idea, having coached youth football I have been in the uneviable situation of having to ask parents to tone down their language/aggressive behaviour towards others. I find this unacceptable when youngsters are involved and a bad example is being set. I've witnessed quite a bit of overly agressive behaviour from supporters at Sat/sun league football too and believe this may well stem from an acceptance of similar behaviour. I believe a change in culture of behaviour on the touchline at this level would be welcomed by the majority of players/coaches. Allowing those who play to do so without being fearful of criticism is important in allowing development of playing style and a passion for the game, this can be stifled by over bearing spectators. Remeber, these are youth and amature players, not professionals who as paid employees can expect a reasonable amount of criticism.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
This is another idea which makes the Football Association look out of touch with reality! This is the year 2014 not 1894! People's attitudes and behaviour patterns have changed and sadly there is little respect shown by any participants regardless of age in the game towards players, officials, spectators, etc. Surely it is time to acknowledge that the social situation in this country is irreversible? If somebody wants to take part in a game of silence they need to take up the eccentric card game of Bridge! A game with nearly 100 Laws and an etiquette code where you cannot speak socially at the table without penalty!   :bunny
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:07:07 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
I believe in what the FA are doing, removing competitive games until U12 and messing with the setup to give us equal playing time, more time to play a pass out of the goal keeper and take out the high tempo win at all cost in replacement for a nicer, more fun to play and watch kids game is what we need. 

We're a decade behind the rest of Europe but it needs to be persisted with or more and more kids will give it up before they even get started.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I thought they'd been trialing 'Silent Weekends' at The Northolme for years.......... 8)