Author Topic: Im worried and its only pre season  (Read 11510 times)

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
Im worried and its only pre season
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:40:47 PM »
Funny how football can divide opinions on what we watch week in and out but for me having seen all the pre season friendlies I feel unless we add around 4 more quality players to the squad we are going to be in for a tough ride this season my reasons are as follows and we should be starting to gel instead of leaving the game today with more headaches to ponder.
Ok yes we were without Brown,Hilliard,and Rollings who would all be starters and its a pre season game its hot etc etc...
Only 4 subs today proves how thin on the ground body wise we are.
For me its obvious we need to find a good forward now where he will come from I just don't know but I'm afraid the two lads who are classed as forwards are way off whats required. It amazed me Boston fans were constantly having a go at ex Pilgrim Robbings as his 60 mins on the pitch today had more about him than we have seen from our new strikers and Robbings was branded as lazy when he was with us!?!?
Robberts once again gave his all as he does week in and out and Pepe in midfield started to pull the strings in the second half he really is a player. Also like the look of Chippendale linked things up well and can certainly strike a ball.
Now for the minus points St Juste only looks interested when the ball is around him doesn't really offer much when we don't have the ball, he is way off the player that always has looked a huge threat when playing against us. Marshall can beat a player and has a trick but he constantly has way too many touches however has looked better out wide in the last 2 games than he did playing down the middle.
Well that's all for the players now for how we are playing... Looking very shaky from crosses and set plays at both ends of the pitch we have conceded a fair few from crosses already and not looked like much of a threat at the other end. Maguire is a decent addition however if he doesn't get on the end of things no one else shows the desire needed to do so.
The full backs have shown they are okish going forward and have good movement but don't like defending when the winger cuts inside and they need to show more strength.
I believe that with the current players we can get a decentish 11 on the pitch but we all know 11 players wont last long into our season without injuries suspensions etc.
We will probably wait till around end of September and get some loan players in who will be young and untested.
Another dominant center half is needed and another forward of real quality urgently as well as a couple better quality additions to bulk the squad out to create competition.

So to finish id like to ask you all given the games you have seen so far and based on the players we have where do you think we will finish??

I'm going for around 16th to 20th.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Im worried and its only pre season
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »
There is always a knee jerk reaction around the middle/end of pre season, personally i think many teams up and down the divisions will still be finding their feet, and also looking light in numbers so we are no different, apart from results which have been mixed, and some disappointing.  But come the start of the season, and with one or two more new faces in, we shall be in or around the top 5-8 and with a late push, which we seem to be able to do, then why can't we be promotion contenders yet again ?  Its far to early to start getting all the negative vibes out, lets leave those for after 5 games when we can get a better idea on our starting 11 and how the team is gelling.  Lets all remember, last season around the end of September, many said we were rubbish and was going down.  All this said in anger after a poor run that month. Yet we didn't, and we made the play offs. One thing i will say, is that consistency is needed, one season we can be poor at home, good away, another vice versa.  If we can fix that, and for any team to be consistent is always a big ask, then of course we shall be ok.  8)  UTP

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
I repeat what I said last week, all our games so far have been competitive as opposed to previous preseason games against so called top clubs youth teams which frankly did nothing to test the mettle of our players or give the management much idea of the set up to use. I feel we have recruited some very good talent but do agree we need three or four more as Dennis sorts them out. I will reserve judgement of the team we end up with after a few games but am optimistic for the forthcoming season.  UTP.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
It's pre-season, for chuffs sake. This is why we have friendlies. I'm not Den's biggest fan, but count the players he's lost. He's got a virtually new team to get to gel. It won't happen over night. At least he's rolling the dice now, and not in the middle of November. Patience is a virtue they say...
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
Dont be silly Twin. We've played a few pre season games. So season over for me

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
my mistake. I thought we should at least give Den chance to bring in 3 cart horses and 2 midgets and 63 loanees and not to mention 10 former players who weren't good enough last year or the year before or the year before that! Actually thinking about it, resigning Nicky Walker and Stephen Ngamvoulou should sort the job out!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
Lammin looks a good player,fast,full of tricks,BUT,why does he keep trying to beat all the defenders and get as close to goal as he can? Time and time again he has space but decides to try to get in the box and loses the ball,he showed against Posh that he has a powerful shot,3 shots 1 goal,so why has he decided to try and walk the ball in? Looks a cracking signing but for what I just posted.

Saying that,we seemed to want to shoot at all times in the early pre season friendlies and against Spalding we reverted to walking it in,Tuesday night Liam Adam showed what we need,two shots,one goal the other deflected just wide.

I have no doubt it will all come good,pre season is all about fitness and gelling together,no competitive edge so too speak,and it was obvious Robbins would be running around and playing well just to prove a point too Den,pity he never did what he was paid to do at United then he may still be here,saying no more on that matter but as they say in a well known show "the truth is out there" lol

Have faith,I posted weeks ago that we need to get behind the team and give them time,this is virtually a new squad so will need a few games to get going,similar to when Tommy Taylor had two weeks to get 11 players in all those years ago,just hope it has better results this time lol ..

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
my mistake. I thought we should at least give Den chance to bring in 3 cart horses and 2 midgets and 63 loanees and not to mention 10 former players who weren't good enough last year or the year before or the year before that! Actually thinking about it, resigning Nicky Walker and Stephen Ngamvoulou should sort the job out!

You,ve overlooked bring back Kyle Dixon and Ryan Robbins !!!!!!
With almost a new team to build I think it will take more than 4/5 matches to build a new part-time side .
Problem is that players on trial understandably try to catch the eye with an individual performance rather than blend into the team .   We have already seen two forwards against us who are good at this , scoring early games then fading away when given a contract .

Confident the defence will concede less goals this season if Brown remains fit .

In mid-field Ngoma looks a commanding player similar to Justin Richards (how we missed him when he was recalled by NC  .

Forwards ?    Do not look prolific scorers at the moment but I,d be surprised if DG does,nt get them firing .
                   Remember his record with strikers ,   Signed up Ricky Miller when S&H apparently considered him not good enough for the Uni League .     Signed Dayle when Paul Hurst considered him no good enough for N Con.   

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »
Talking of forwards,first glimpse of Waide Fairhurst I thought he was carrying a lot of timber and looked lethargic,Tuesday against Grimsby he looked anything but,he chased everything and never let the back 4 settle on the ball,not too good in the air but then we are playing FOOTball not HEADball :D  So agree with GHM,early days but have faith..

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
Lammin looks a good player,fast,full of tricks,BUT,why does he keep trying to beat all the defenders and get as close to goal as he can? Time and time again he has space but decides to try to get in the box and loses the ball,he showed against Posh that he has a powerful shot,3 shots 1 goal,so why has he decided to try and walk the ball in? Looks a cracking signing but for what I just posted.

Did you go yesterday? He was shooting from the edge of the area and from acute angles. I think he will be a good player for us this season.

His strengths are pace and skill.. it's probably his 1st nature to use both to create a better scoring chance. He's only young.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »

Did you go yesterday? He was shooting from the edge of the area and from acute angles. I think he will be a good player for us this season.

His strengths are pace and skill.. it's probably his 1st nature to use both to create a better scoring chance. He's only young.

Didn't make it yesterday (sodding back of mine) but that is good to hear,like I say he did it against Posh when he came on but last week against Spalding shooting was the only option has they had numerous players behind the ball as soon as we got anywhere near goal yet he still tried taking them all on.. No doubt he will be a cracking signing though and like you say,still young enough to learn and with ex striker as manager he should now what it takes to be a forward :D

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
Have a feeling about this season. Think we'll struggle and DG will quit by end of October. Hope I'm proved wrong.

In respect of the games I've seen so far, I've not been overly convinced. Against Posh I thought we did ok. Not so good against Lincoln and then even worse against Spalding - against the sort of team / tactics we are likely to face at Home in this league.

Can't afford to get off to a bad start.

TEP

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »

Fully agree in fact let just give up call it relegation now thats the patter way. Seems like we have no chance anyway

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
Have a feeling about this season. Think we'll struggle and DG will quit by end of October. Hope I'm proved wrong.

In respect of the games I've seen so far, I've not been overly convinced. Against Posh I thought we did ok. Not so good against Lincoln and then even worse against Spalding - against the sort of team / tactics we are likely to face at Home in this league.

TEP

Similar here. Looked quite good v Posh, especially 2nd half, but very poor v Spalding and defensively all over the place v Stamford. Squad still seems too thin and we lack a commanding CB and someone sharp up top to go with Colley. (Maybe Fairhurst will get sharper). Need to make use of our wingers and Colley to whip some crosses into the box.
I know people say don't read into preseason but you see Halifax whipping teams yet we can't put away Spalding and Stamford, it does make me wonder how far off the pace we'll be if and when we sort it out fully. I can't make King's Lynn but will go to Gateshead (who beat Darlington 2-0). Hopefully we'll give competitive showings there but I fear many have already made up their minds and we'll be a sub par turnout next Saturday

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »

TEP

Similar here. Looked quite good v Posh, especially 2nd half, but very poor v Spalding and defensively all over the place v Stamford. Squad still seems too thin and we lack a commanding CB and someone sharp up top to go with Colley. (Maybe Fairhurst will get sharper). Need to make use of our wingers and Colley to whip some crosses into the box.
I know people say don't read into preseason but you see Halifax whipping teams yet we can't put away Spalding and Stamford, it does make me wonder how far off the pace we'll be if and when we sort it out fully. I can't make King's Lynn but will go to Gateshead (who beat Darlington 2-0). Hopefully we'll give competitive showings there but I fear many have already made up their minds and we'll be a sub par turnout next Saturday

That,s it then Halifax win the league and Boston relegated ,    hang on a minute in February some on here said we had no chance of the play-offs , I think their predictions will be way of the mark again .

Re:  CBs , a lot depends on Browns fitness ,  with Mcquire a far better reader of the game than last seasons CBs I think we wll not leak so many goals .