Author Topic: D G  (Read 36910 times)

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
Re: D G
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
I think we have to wait until Greene brings in his own centre backs to judge on our defence, but i do agree that lister should of been given another chance once completely injury free.

I liked Watt but for me he was far to inconsistent to be our regular centre back, i think ward is worth keeping but like DG has said he needs to go out on loan and play every week to show if he is good enough, not just fill in here and there.

As for people saying about jase field, i dont understand why he would need to be kept, yes this season he looked better than jells but is it jase fields standard we are looking to settle with at left back? If we are going to challenge for the play offs we need a bit of quality at rb and lb, just look at brackleys left back on saturday, he was a threat going forward and was solid at the back. Thats the sort of player we need at boston to play full back.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 06:32:31 AM »
Yes GHM I will second that part about relegation, when I was looking at the league how it finished at the weekend I think we would have been fighting with Corby and Histon to stay up under Drury.
when DRURY left it was his team that won us the next 3 games,9 points that kept us up.
I dont think GREENE was in totall controll at the time.
had GREENE been in charge would it have been 1 win in 10 I wonder.(relegation me thinks) ;) ;)
we all no the team had been chosen befor he arrived so who chose it??

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »
I think we have to wait until Greene brings in his own centre backs to judge on our defence, but i do agree that lister should of been given another chance once completely injury free.

As for people saying about jase field, i dont understand why he would need to be kept, yes this season he looked better than jells but is it jase fields standard we are looking to settle with at left back? If we are going to challenge for the play offs we need a bit of quality at rb and lb, just look at brackleys left back on saturday, he was a threat going forward and was solid at the back. Thats the sort of player we need at boston to play full back.
CANT get my head round this one,  I myself rated JELLS as did many others.
FIELD came back to cover for JELLS and i thought did a good job.
you say FIELD looked better than JELLS, but why would we need to keep him.
IF you see promiss in a player would you not wont to keep him,
JASON has been understoody to JELLS since SCOT and HURST days,so to hear someone say he his playing better than JELLS, ( means he has progressed for sure) ;) ;)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:19 AM »
Losing confidence in Greene with every passing day. First he comes out and says we're aiming for 7th or 8th, totally underselling a club of our size in this league.

Next he comes out and says he's signed the best keeper in non league, unless he's signing a full time pro from Conf Prem then I suggest he should have said the best keeper at this level or below. And if it had been Graham Drury had said this he would have been crucified on here, because it's likable Dennis Greene nobody bats an eyelid.

He then fails to tell either of his keepers they are not being retained, lacks professionalism, class and again if done by Graham Drury would have taken some stick on here.

The retained list, Ward and Stainsfield? Take it we're looking to not keep many clean sheets this season. Even if they're squad players they'll have to fill in at some point due to injuries, suspensions, unavailability. Whilst on this point, 3 signed + 7 offered + 6 DG says he needs =16 - Ward out on loan, Reed who he says is one for the future leaves 14. So we have 11 + 3 for the bench first team players. The rest of the bench will have to be made of those 2 plus youths/reserves. Not many game changes and that's without injuries etc. I hope he's going to sign more than he says or else we're going to have times where we struggle to put 11 first teamers out...

For all the sh*t Drury got on here, he instilled me with more confidence that Greene is at the moment. Really not looking forward to next season, get the feeling Greene is blagging it and his signings won't be anywhere near good enough, this based on who he's kept, offering Mills when he's not really done anything for example.

I could go on but I think that's enough for starters. A very concerned fan.

I can see your concerns WP but I think you are jumping the gun judging him before we even know who he is going to sign . 
Like myself you mentioned a few times JLwas about 3/4 players short of a good team , all retained players are Lee players .
As for GD signings all have gone with very few complaints from fans . On that basis I can see nothing to recommend Drury .
Looking at the record of Drury during his stay he made us real candidates for relegation .
I was wrong about Lee and about his team. The first team was short of about 6 players and the squad much more. I'm complaining about Drury players being released and I'm a fan. I'd take the 2 CB's released over the 2 retained any day. Greene and Lee's records would have put us 10th and 11th respectively, not nearly good enough. Drury would have got rid of more of the average players than Greene has, this squad is too comfy in mid-table and Greene seems similar.

I like Tom Ward he looked a real prospect when he came, but he's gone backwards and has been at fault for so many of our goals it's untrue. Any manager who can keep Tom over Jase Field, who's 3 years younger and much better in his position already, ditto Lister, I don't have any faith in his ability to sign the right players.

Agree JL and Greenes results pointed to mid-table finish ,  preferred by most fans to Drurys projected relegation position . 
Drury did get rid of a few average players only to replace them with poor players .

As one who has always and publicly disapproved of DG's appointment, and I pray I am proved wrong, and if so, will be delighted to chain eat slices of humble pie, unlike Drury if he ultimately fails it will be a lot worse than Drury's struggles, as unlike the latter, he has now got the whole pre season to assemble a squad of his choosing so from that perspective there can be no excuses.

We can speculate all we like, and it would appear, reading this thread, many still enjoy doing so over whether Drury would have got us relegated or not (for me such a suggestion was total madness, it would never have happened, the were too many poor sides) but one thing is for sure come this time of year, he would have released the vast majority of the squad, a squad do we need reminding that has now under performed for three different managers!

Sure Drury's signings hardly inspired or excited anyone, certainly didn't me, but in his defence, trying to bring players into a badly under performing side, half way through a season and to a club, albeit with great in fact brilliant support, but not exactly the easiest place to get to was always going to be hard, and why I would imagine so many players turned down his approaches

Some of the reasons I didn't want, and in truth still don't want DG to rule our club, even though as he does, I will fully support him, is highlighted by some of these comments, and worse treatment to some of the existing squad, which actually leaves a little nasty taste. Surely they deserve better

I will wait and see who he bring to the club before moaning any more, but lets not forget, a deal offered is not the same as a deal accepted. So we start with three, with the likelihood of maybe another four or five which means eight or ten more to follow and if we aren't all going to have to endure yet another season of mediocrity these eight or ten have to be better than those who walk away. Lets hope they are 

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
I have to say, I find it bizarre how anyone can moan before he's even made a signing.  I don't even think we will have to wait long as he has stated in the local press he wants to get his signings done quickly, ideally this week.  I sympathise with the players who found out through the press that they were being released.  However, I've heard these types of stories time and again so its not uncommon.

Of the players released, the only one I was really disappointed with was Field.  I think he did well enough to get a chance and clearly has potential.  He's still young and I'm confident with games could have become a really good player at this level.  Young players need games if they are going to develop and I think this is an ongoing problem at the club. 

I know some are unhappy about Ward and Stainfield being kept, but I'd imagine they are on low wages and thus worth giving a chance.  I think releasing most of the defence and G/K is addressing a problem we've had throughout the past few seasons since Pearson etc left.  It'd been obvious we've conceded far too many goals and soft goals, which has cost us so many games this season.  I mean, we scored 3 goals against a side in the play-offs last saturday at home and STILL lost!  My interpretation is that Greene is planning to get a solid, commanding g/k and a decent pair of centre backs.  He has also said he want a holding midfielder/ball winner and a target man.  It sounds like he wants to strengthen the spine of the team. If he gets this right, alongside the players we have retained we can be more consistent as well as beating some of the top sides, as we have already proved last season.

Time will tell, but I hope we can get behind the team this year as every summer we seem to be on the teams back, usually before they've even kicked a ball in pre season training!  This year before we even signed a player 5 days after the season has finished!

shinnster

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »
 Just seen Butcher at York Street

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »

Dunmore's have been involved with the club for years :D

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
Taken from here:

http://www.nonleagueforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=507690#p507690

Quote from: Histon Fan
For the first half of the season we had a manager who brought in players for a game on non-contract terms, then got rid of them and signed another 5 players to play in the next game while leaving the squad that had played last season on the bench or not on the teamsheet.
To pick a random game (3-1 loss V Harrogate in September), 8 of the 14 that played were not at the club come January 2013, and I can safely say 7 of those only played 5 games or less for the club before Greene released them to sign more useless players. Go to a game at the end of September, there are 6 different players in the squad. I didn't recognise half the players playing from one game to the next from all the changes he made, and that was the same throughout his tenure at the club. It wasn't a case in unavailability, it was a case of Greene being completely clueless. Greene signed 25 players in his 6 months at the club, of which none are here any more (only 1 of his 26 signings was kept)... all the rest weren't good enough and released either by our current manager or by Greene... 8 of whom after only making 3 or fewer appearances for the club. And when we play with the squad that was here last season? As I've shown from our results in our final 21 games, top 10.

Makes Drury's time at our club like a bowl of cherries. Notice Greene has already said his new signings will be non-contract in case they don't work out (post Gainsborough). Think we need to ready ourselves for lots of player movement in and out next season...

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »

I liked Watt but for me he was far to inconsistent to be our regular centre back, i think ward is worth keeping but like DG has said he needs to go out on loan and play every week to show if he is good enough, not just fill in here and there.

But it's already been stated play-offs aren't the aim, 7th/8th is.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
http://www.huntspost.co.uk/sport/football/greene_draws_inspiration_from_martin_o_neill_1_929284

Quote from: huntspost
Greene played for Windsor & Eton on his return to England and, after quitting playing at 37, took over as manager at then Ryman Division One outfit Windsor in 2001/02.

He guided the club to the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy in 2002/03 – losing out to Aylesbury United on penalties – before jumping ship to join then-Conference South Maidenhead four months into the 2004/05 season.

But things quickly turned sour, as Greene explained: “I’d cut my teeth in management and, having had a decent amount of success at Windsor, I felt it was time to move on.

“I went to see the chairman of Maidenhead, who gave me this vision about going full-time and a new stadium for the club.

“But, after four months, I found out the club were actually £180,000 in debt, weren’t moving to a new stadium and I’d be losing all my players and my budget was being cut from £3,500 to £1,000 a week.

“There was now no money at the club. £1,000 a week is equivalent to S&L Corby at St Neots’ level last year and you can’t pay players £40 a week in the Conference South and expect to win football matches.”

Greene was sacked by Maidenhead seven games into the 2005/06 season – having kept them up against the odds on the final day the season before – but was back in management three months later, at Southern Premier outfit Chesham.

However, he was again let down by broken promises and was sacked shortly after taking over.

In 2007, Greene dropped everything and moved his family out to Spain to run a Charlton Athletic youth academy in Alicante, but returned two years later when funding dried up due to the Addicks’ relegation from the Premier League.

A short stint at Ryman Division One North outfit Ware followed before taking over at Southern Premier side Hemel Hempstead Town, who he guided to the play-off semi-finals in 2008/09, losing out to Farnborough on penalties.

Greene left Hemel by mutual consent shortly into the 2009/10 campaign, following a disagreement with his chairman over a player and joined St Neots as Steve Lomas’ number two just before the turn of the year.

The rest, they say, is history.
So his mangerial career:
Windsor 01/05 3 and a half years - left
Maidenhead 05/06 less than a year (over 2 seasons) - sacked and complaints of low budget
Chesham 05/06 less than a year - sacked - complaint of broken promises (budget again?)
Charlton Youth Academy 06/08 2 years - lack of funding so left
Ware 08/09 - Less than a season - departure unknown reason
Hemel 08/10 - left do to disagreement

Since then:

St Neots - 10/12 - 2 seasons - left do to disagreement
Histon 12/13 - less than a season - left due to lack of money/disagreement

Had moderate success at Windsor and Hemel (as seen in the link). Had great success at St Neots but funded way beyond the levels they were at. Notice the amount of clubs and a large majority have been left due to disagreements/lack of resources or being sacked. Not a great CV...

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
your not convinced then woad  ;)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »
I'm pleased you've said that WP, I thought it was just me and BG who had reservations.........

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt though and see how things pan out when we have HIS team in place next August.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I'm pleased you've said that WP, I thought it was just me and BG who had reservations.........

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt though and see how things pan out when we have HIS team in place next August.
I said all along this man looked shifty,  I have been waiting to see who he would bring in as is assistant, he seems not to know anyone.
I smell a personality problem hear,it seems no one as followed him anywere be it player or staff.
I think B Grimes is not letting on all he knows.
players had to go.   we all no that but its the way he's gone about it, dont seem the way to me.
any way good luck to all players going and all who come in :) :)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »

Dunmore's have been involved with the club for years :D
lol

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
I think I'll reserve my judgement until I see what calibre of players he signs and how the team gels over the first 10 matches.  I'm not particularly interested in his past now he's here, just the here and now and what he does in the future.  I'm sure if my current employer could have googled my entire career along with comments from those I worked with, they would have been able to find a reason to not employ me.  I'm not bothered if he "looks shifty", doesn't have any mates or if his eyes are too close together, I'm just bothered about what he does now.

What I would really like to see this season is for us to build from the back.  If we can get a couple of solid centre backs in and a commanding keeper, that will be worth a good few points to us before we even think about scoring goals. If you dont concede, you don't lose.  I feel fairly confident we can score the necessary goals against most teams in this division.

A few stats:

We scored against every team in the top 5
We Beat 3 out of the top 5 at least once
Joint 8th Highest scorers in the division along with Gainsborough
Joint 15th on Goals conceded (approx twice as many as Chester and Halifax)
Average goals scored 1.6 per game
Average goals conceded 1.7

The defence has been poor now for the past two seasons and in my opinion this was Jason Lee's biggest error.  If you have a strong defence it leads to consistency which we have lacked all year.  If you are playing badly, but don't concede, you can come into the game and nick a goal late on.  This is the main strength of all the best sides, you can't expect to perform well every week but with a strong defence, you pick up results even when playing badly.

Edit

Extra Stats:

5/10 games we scored 2 goals or more against top 5 opposition
Losing margin only greater than 1 goal on 2/10 occasions (Guisely Home and Altrincham Away)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:03:02 PM by Maxross »