Author Topic: v Stalybridge  (Read 9533 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
v Stalybridge
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
Vince back in goal. Pleased with that

DL

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Stalybridge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
Is Dickinson the ex Dickinson ??

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »
Vince back in goal. Pleased with that

DL
+1

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
Agree that it was good to see Vince back in goal. Has some great attributes in his kicking which is very good on the whole and his shot stopping but isn't always vocal enough and fails to catch enough balls into the box but is my favorite out of the two.

We never really got going today. Lacked a spark and created few clear cut chances. Coped well enough with a team that tried to play the right way. Midfield were sloppy at times today. Dorran was poor, failed to look up, kept the ball for too long and slowed the game down, Hollingsworth wasn't his usual busy self and probably needs a rest. Both Meadows and Marrs did well enough but the midfield didn't work because we played too many central players none of which had the pace to go past the opposition. We looked more threatening going forward when Fallah came on offering pace behind the front two, Greene said on the radio after the game that he saw Fallah more of an impact player to trouble tried legs, although I would give him another chance next week unless McGhee is available and 100%. Felix did ok in spells but was frustrating at times but is our outlet at the moment and is worth his place in the team for his energy. I thought Southwell did well today, worked hard, held the ball up well, finished the penalty with conviction and was unlucky not score with our best chance early in the second half bringing a great save from King.

A couple of positives from the interview with Greene on the radio after the game in that Dowie will be available possibly for the next game if not the one after and that Newsham will play in an u21 game game the week after next. Glad we are finally getting an u21 game sorted as the likes of Barlow, Galinksi and Hewiitt haven't played much yet (or at all) also hopefully Sanders and Smythe will play for us despite being involved with other clubs if the game is midweek.  Greene also said that "it is no secret that we need a centre forward but they cost £400 to 500 hundred a week and we don't have that sort of money." Shouldn't be too long now until (hopefully) Newsham can partner Southwell up front. Otherwise hopefully we can get someone on loan or look at someone doing well lower down the leagues.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
We definately  saw the best Boston goalie today, unfortunately he was playing for Stayley  bridge. He is head and shoulders above our two. If we are to challenge this year we need an experienced goalie. The defenders today didn't know if Sam was going for the ball and if he was could he catch it. Defenders need to know the keeper is going to dominate his area and catch crosses in that area, sadly our defenders are unsure on both counts. I feel A loan signing may be imminent .
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
We definately  saw the best Boston goalie today, unfortunately he was playing for Stayley  bridge. He is head and shoulders above our two. If we are to challenge this year we need an experienced goalie. The defenders today didn't know if Sam was going for the ball and if he was could he catch it. Defenders need to know the keeper is going to dominate his area and catch crosses in that area, sadly our defenders are unsure on both counts. I feel A loan signing may be imminent .

Totally agree ,    goalkeeping cost us last year until King came .   got to get it sorted quickly .

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
I think bringing in a forward is a more pressing issue. Vince has ability and will improve with time.

The Smoke Monster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »
Hello all, I usually just read these posts but I feel obliged to point out to the Spayne road morons that a player can't be offside from a goal kick. Therefore if your life is so pathetic that the only way to relieve the frustration is to scream abuse at the lino please at least wait until he makes a genuine mistake- don't worry it won't be long. On a lighter note I agree with most posters regarding the need for a quality striker and creative midfielder, though I realise they're not cheap. Personally i'd like to see Rossy back if only so we had someone to deliver a decent set piece

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
Getting scared to say too much for fear of beration, but that simply didn't work today did it?
Can someone tell me if the sides of our pitch have had a council exclusion order placed on them as we really have developed an aversion to even thinking about using them. The midfield was far too narrow giving our opponents acres of space down both wings but worse equally shackled not only the way we played but also stifled our ambition to push any numbers forward. I don't think either Meadows or Doran both of who possess fair levels of skill, are physically strong enough yet, a problem highlighted by the one person in the squad who is being plonked on the bench.
Without any width, utilising any of the undoubted pace we do have in the squad and the front men at least trying to make themselves hard to bloody mark, I don't know what others feel but I found myself thinking if we have inadvertently become too easy for opponents to work out and on recent evidence, perhaps even a bit to easy to play against? Stalybridge tried to play decent football but were no world beaters, and I don't know, I just didn't think we ever looked like troubling them and that is the most worrying aspect of today.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Agree that we were too narrow. Dorran isn't the finished article yet and has alot to learn but disagree about Meadows who has looked good and obviously has proved it elsewhere playing the last two seasons in the league above as a regular for Alfreton.

Felix and McGhee are our wingers but we haven't had the opportunity to play them both wide together yet due to injuries, suspension and both having to play up front with Southwell to due lack of other options.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »
This the first match I have seen this season.  On this match, my opinion is we are not as good as last season.  I have said on previous posts that Vince is not ready to play first team football, and with what I saw yesterday I stand by my comment. I thought the ref was poor.  He gave us a penalty for a very harsh handball. The lad could not get out of the way.  He then spent the rest of the half trying to even things up.  Nobody in the team wanted to hold onto the ball.  Quick passing looks nice if you are moving forward, but I lost count of the times we gave the ball away.  Our midfield sat too deep, leaving a big gap between them and the forwards.  We have a very young team and they are still learning, we need an old pro in midfield, someone to hold the ball and dictate the play, and let young legs do the running for him.  I fear we are going to be on the end of a very big drumming when the pitches get heavy.  Saying that, I enjoyed being at the match and hope to be back soon.
Do not trust atoms, they make up everything.

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Dennis please play with some wingers..
Mills on the right and steer on left, Marrs can play RB ?? Galinski LB
Felix was not good enough lost the ball every time he had it yes he's got pace but nothing else, Doran was the same giving ball away, Southwell did okay on his own, Meadows must of been in wrong position as he look like he was scared every time the ball came near him, biggest laugh when he was announced MOM.
Mills, Garner or Steer should of been MOM

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
We desperately need a striker with some pace and power. We need to look for another gem. Surely Ryan Robbins from stamford has to be worth a look? scoring for fun in the league below.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
Several points really that need addressing.

Several players had an "off day" resulting in the team overall not being at its best.
Midfield didn't work, too many players inexperienced players and the style of the four central midfielders was too similar. This shouldn't be a problem long term with Dowie and McGhee soon back to fitness. Lack of pace and width which gives us the opportunity to solve with McGhee and Felix able to play those positions.
Still need a forward. Even with Newsham one more is still needed. Although as Greene said they cost money which is something we don't have. Waiting for the right player - which I am sure Greene, Bunny and our scout are working hard with watching potential players.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »
Dennis please play with some wingers..
Mills on the right and steer on left, Marrs can play RB ?? Galinski LB
I stopped reading after this.