Author Topic: Capacity of new stadium increased to include 'Town End'  (Read 4820 times)

bostontarget.co.uk

• View Profile
Capacity of new stadium increased to include 'Town End'
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
Boston United have upped the capacity of their proposed new stadium to incorporate a new ‘Town End’ and make it fit for the Football League from day one.

Read more: http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Capacity-Boston-United-s-new-stadium-increased/story-20604865-detail/story.html?jjjjj#ixzz2t1udVMV8

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Capacity of new stadium increased to include 'Town End'
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
That really sends out great messages, to the fans it is proof that they have been listened to regarding what they see as important in a new stadium. To the football world in general that Boston United is serious about it's ambitions for the future. We really are so lucky to have David and Neil at the helm to see BUFC become the community club they and all supporters are dreaming of, they deserve all the backing in the world from us all and the general public of Boston in their magnificent efforts to put the town and the club back on the map.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
It's excellent news. Let's just hope the project gets the go ahead from the planners. It really is exciting times for bufc and us as fans have a massive part to play the Chesnuts need our help to help make this a reality

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
Great news.

Makes sense to have that bit extra capacity so we can get promoted to league 2 should the opportunity arise. Maybe DN is feeling hopeful about promotion this season given current form, then thinking no point in building a stadium that can't get us a promotion to league 2 if we are already if conf prem next season.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »
I got shot down last time I said it but I'll say it again, still no where for the community clubs & centre of excellence to train and play week in week out in these plans and for a community based project that's being sold as such that's wrong and will be a stumbling block if not addressed  :)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
My understanding is still the same as it was then, isn't the 3G at the ground for the community clubs and the CoE is to stay in the same place due to location and picking up a wider spread of players from a more central location (1hr from training rule)
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
Increasing capacity makes good sense and fair play to DN & Co for recognising that now as opposed to do it retrospectively, which could add months and months to the application, but I do slightly agree with qwerty actually. Some of us no doubt have taken at least a passing interest in the problems Stamford went through before given their final permission and a lot of stock in finally approving their application appeared to be placed not just on their stadium, but also the other general facilities and the benefits they would bring to the wider community on completion. I am assuming it not only made their application somewhat more palatable to the planners,  but presumably help with funding they surely applied for. Underestimate the importance planners place on such issues to your peril!

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
My understanding is still the same as it was then, isn't the 3G at the ground for the community clubs and the CoE is to stay in the same place due to location and picking up a wider spread of players from a more central location (1hr from training rule)

I'm not sure how many community teams we have, but if it's only eight (I'm sure it's more) they can't all train on one 3g pitch and they can't all play matches on one pitch at the same time. As for the CofE, I've heard that argument before but taking my lads team as example the players come from Boston & surrounding villages, Gosberton, Holbeach, Kings Lynn & Sleaford. We could use the location argument as a case for basing the new stadium at Cranwell as it's located better for more fans to get to! If we are Boston United all facilities should be in Boston in my opinion. We maybe should look at working with Wyberton Sports Field or building a few less houses and putting a couple of pitches the other side the A16 in the first instance.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »
Eight teams or more training on the same 3G pitch is quite straightforward. Starting at 5.00 for the youngest lads its easy to allocate schedules allowing three a night. As for actual location, I do get what you say, but the whole point of new ground, as has been demonstrated all over the UK with similar projects, regardless of their size, is that they have to be built on the outskirts somewhere, and wherever that somewhere is, will have geographical pros and cons, and imo shouldn't and doesn't represent any stumbling box. The cost of all these projects is always going to subsidised somewhere down the line by the other commercial interests connected. Take them, even in part, out of the equation and you dilute profits. Do that to any degree and not only would it mean such shortfalls would have to be made up elsewhere, it could seriously endanger the whole project. If it meant allowing 'extra' pitches and worse a second 3G one, especially if in doing so it came out of the budgeted profits made on any amount of the houses you touched on that could make way, it could alone could add well over £.5M to the projects P&L columns, and if that happens, then developers could easily start tip toeing away........nice sentiments, applaudable, but very dangerous ones
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:32:28 AM by B Grimes »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »

I'm not sure how many community teams we have, but if it's only eight (I'm sure it's more) they can't all train on one 3g pitch and they can't all play matches on one pitch at the same time. As for the CofE, I've heard that argument before but taking my lads team as example the players come from Boston & surrounding villages, Gosberton, Holbeach, Kings Lynn & Sleaford. We could use the location argument as a case for basing the new stadium at Cranwell as it's located better for more fans to get to! If we are Boston United all facilities should be in Boston in my opinion. We maybe should look at working with Wyberton Sports Field or building a few less houses and putting a couple of pitches the other side the A16 in the first instance.

I've seen all the CofE teams on the 1 astro at Cranwell each week, 8 teams training is possible on 1 pitch staggered over a few hours. Matches are more of an issue, but kids games only take 1/2 of it for an hour.  I agree we don't want to be sold short for the long term but also they've got to fund and make on the scheme too.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »
In other news I think the extra size on one of the ends is a good thing.  To get good gates football needs to be a little tribal and needs an identity.  I know people hate the 'Townend' tag but it does give the fan base identity.  A lot of the failings of new stadiums is their lack of identity with their fan base. "Are you going in the North West Corner this week?" doesn't have the same ring.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »
I've seen all the CofE teams on the 1 astro at Cranwell each week, 8 teams training is possible on 1 pitch staggered over a few hours. Matches are more of an issue, but kids games only take 1/2 of it for an hour.  I agree we don't want to be sold short for the long term but also they've got to fund and make on the scheme too.

The CofE have eight teams, they are usually split on a Tuesday & Thursday with half the teams on the astro at Cranwell and the others on the 3G at Sleaford with the reserves & first team training after.

We also have at least eight community teams, so we need to accommodate over 16 kids teams for training and matches on Sundays.

Last Sunday the U15's CofE played 4 sessions of 20 mins with three breaks, with warm up and cool down they took over 2hrs pitch time. Some CofE's travel on coaches with all teams arriving together, it's not possible to share a pitch.

The Quadrant Q1 will be a six year build project, it is possible to grass an area on the other side the A16 for pitches until it's needed in the future for development. By that time the club should have secured further land for pitches next to the new stadium.

We are told this is a £100million project, let's not ruin it for the sake of a few grass football pitches.

While I fully expect DN & his PR agency to pull a rabbit out of the hat and resolve this issue before planning but if they don't you are right, we are being sold short.