Author Topic: Anyone go to yesterday's debacle?  (Read 9540 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Anyone go to yesterday's debacle?
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
Its just we've not had anyone's thoughts from yesterday's game, there were apparently 80 odd away fans so someone must have some thoughts.......LP? WP? Anyone?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone go to yesterday's debacle?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »
I was there, but I'm just off to run a half-marathon - which I reckon will be more pleasurable than it was watching yesterday's game! I'll let you have my comments when I get back.  ;)

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »
No thank god id have rather stabbed myself in the head with a rusty nail ands watched myself bleed to death

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Yeah I went as usual.

Up until the goal there was nothing in the game, we arguably was the better side. They then got the ball out wide, a decent cross was swung in but it was a cross you'd expect a defence at this level to deal with. Kev Austin totally misjudged it and their striker put the ball away well. The goal visibly lifted their players whilst having the opposite effect on ours. There followed a 25-30 minute spell where Alty passed us off the park, Bazza saved a one on one with the keeper and made at least one other outstanding save, plus 3 or 4 more routine saves. We ended the first half well putting their goal under a bit of pressure forcing a couple of corners. At 2-0 down h-t it could of been 4 or 5 but strangely I thought we'd done ok going forward but where defending naively.

At this point the next goal was vital, if we could get one we'd be right back in it having rode our luck but if Alty got it it was obvious we'd take a beating. Second half we conceded pretty much straight from kick-off with comedy defending from the entire team and at that moment I knew it was going to be a long second half.

Alty then laid siege to our goal, which led a charmed life with Bazza pulling off save after save and Stainsfield blocking 2 goalbound efforts plus a cracking shot hitting the bar. Out of nowhere Semple put in a good cross which Lee put away superbly and for 10 minutes we lived in hope of an unlikely comeback. The inevitable 4th put any paid to those thoughts and we then continued to ride our luck before 2 late goals put a fairer reflection on Alty's dominance.

If they had scored 10 or more we could have no complaints, if it hadn't have been for Bazza's MOTM performance we would have conceded double figures. Apart from Bazza there where few positives, I thought Burrow and Mulready both had good games up top - but then neither are our player. Semple played well when he came on and that's about it.

The entire back 4 where a shambles, midfield was totally overrun with massive holes everywhere for them to exploit, I pray the rumours regarding Sleath aren't true as without him we are fcuked. Chris Hall should never be played at centre mid again as he is not a centre midfielder, it was poor first half with Armstrong but with Hall second half you could drive a bus through the middle.

I'll not comment any more on players or the management as I want more time to reflect without the emotion of yesterdays defeat clouding my views.

Alty are a very good side, the best I've seen this season but we made it far too easy for them. I get the feeling we're in for more of the same when we play other good sides, like Hyde, Staly and Guiseley unless things change dramatically...

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
yes i was there. i was sat in the family stand with the alty fans. i think they were more suprised at the fact they played so well than i was that we lost 6-1. they claimed its the best they have played this season. the problem is we just let them come at us without putting up a fight. i cannot pick any individual fault because everything was wrong. but even if we were so poor tactically there is no excuse for lack of effort. alty players had the free run off the pitch (mostly our half) and moved around and opened up our defense with frightening ease. thank feck for bazza, it could have easily been TEN-1.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
We looked OK for around ten minutes during the first half, but the rest of it was a shambles and we were completely outplayed. It was the worst that I’ve seen us play since that 5-0 debacle at home to Nantwich nearly three years ago. I know people often say these things off-hand but it could really, genuinely have been ten but for Bazza.

The defence looked like they’d never met each other. Jelleyman was below his best but at least he put in a challenge occasionally and supported the attack when necessary.

Austin is far too slow – he couldn't cope with the pace and movement of Altrincham's attackers. We put together a handful of passing moves which broke down once the ball was played to him because of his hap-hazard, anywhere-will-do approach.

I fully appreciate that Stainfield is young and we didn’t have much alternative than to play him but, that said, he looks out of his depth. Perhaps he could do with a spell out on loan? Altrincham played some very simple, composed, one-touch moves in and around our back-line, teasing out centre-backs who seemed utterly terrified to put a foot in (or do anything at all to stop them!).

Jordan Fairclough is too lightweight for a right-back. He gets muscled off the ball too easy and found it difficult to so much as pass the ball to a team-mate. His confidence seemed to collapse as the game went on and he did little but launch it long in the second half.

The midfield… we had a midfield?

I’ll be polite and suggest that perhaps central midfield isn’t Armstrong’s preferred position. I’m not sure I remember seeing him touch the ball in the first half.

I felt a little sorry for Wilkinson because he essentially had to do the work of about three players. He tired badly towards the end and left the defence exposed. Quite why Sleath was dropped from the squad entirely, I have no idea. On his way to Alfreton this week perhaps?

Ben Fairclough is very quick. That’s about it. Taking on a man is not his forte and neither is crossing. It would be a mistake to play him on the wing again.

Hall is an incredibly frustrating player to watch. He saw a lot of the ball yesterday, yet didn’t do much with it. Jelleyman often came up to support him but was rarely given the ball. When he gets the ball out wide, Hall seems to take an age to decide what to do, rarely looks up and then puts in a cross that nine times out of ten finds no-one. He's anonymous when playing in central midfield and frankly doesn't work hard enough there. (In fairness, his delivery from corners was pretty good.)

The two young lads who started up front put in plenty of effort. Burrow holds the ball up well and finds whatever support is around him. He seems a little afraid to shoot though; perhaps that will come with confidence.

Mulready looked quick and likes playing on the shoulder of one of the centre-backs, waiting to pounce on through-ball into his path. Unfortunately, whenever he was spotted the pass to him was often over-hit or intercepted.

Lee looked strong when he came on but gave away too many fouls (nothing new there, then). Semple looked lively but didn’t see much of the ball; Newsham similarly.

If you look at the starting XI, all were LC & JL signings bar Jelleyman (Austin was on loan last season). I’m not sure how much thought went into it (e.g. what was the rationale for dropping Sleath and/or Milnes?) but the net result was embarrassing. The key to the gulf between the sides yesterday was the Altrincham looked well-organised and played with confidence on the ball, keeping everything simple and always providing each other with options. We looked like a team who had been patched together at short notice without a game plan.

I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision about the managers’ futures. Walking out of the ground, I’d have sacked them there and then but emotions were high and, on reflection, I think October’s too early to make changes. We’re closer to the play-offs than the relegation zone, there’s still more than 70% of the season to go and I’m not convinced the job is as attractive as some would have you believe.

What is key now is how the players and managers react to this mauling.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

What is key now is how the players and managers react to this mauling.

there was meant to be a reaction in this game for the result on tuesday night. the key now is to sort the shit out.

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
I was there yesterday.

The back four looked like they hadn't met before. May I suggest offloading Austin and sending Stainfield to the reserves or on loan for a bit. J Fairclough always looks like a wing back rather than a right back to me. Alty realised pretty quickly that he was a weak link.

Central midfielders were completely anonymous. Alty either played one twos around them or ran straight through them at the defence. Can't remember B. Fairclough doing anything of note - if he's not going to play up front I'd be tempted to get rid. Hall did OK on the wing but he can't play in the centre.

I was impressed with Burrow - he had a decent amount of the ball in the first half but had no support - nobody to lay it off to. Didn't see a lot from Mulready but the strikers were given very little chance.

What do we need?
(1) Three out of White, Canoville, Parker and Ward fit.
(2) A box to box midfielder who's not afraid to make a tackle.
(3) Semple firing on all cycliders.
(4) A new manager? Maybe. I reckon they've got a month to sort it out. If we get stuffed by Trinity and knocked out of the trophy by Giggleswick Miners' Welfare at the end of November then their goose will be cooked.

On the plus side I enjoyed the Manchester Food and Drink Festival.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
For all you masochists out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lJWCq95ZI

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
For all you masochists out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lJWCq95ZI

Treat it as a comedy rather than a horror and its just about watchable. (Did I imagine our goal?)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »
i got as far as there second and watched alty put 20 plus passes without any  boston pressure at all. And people dont have the right to moan.

Bob Lee

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
I can only say what I have seen on the link, but for the second goal they strung together 11 passes and had far too much space.

Church would have broken the move up before it became dangerous,  we need a player in the same mould.

I said I would not make a comment about the team until at least 10 games in.

I will make a three word comment, WE WILL STRUGGLE

I thought this from pre season, but decided to give them a chance, before I get slagged off, I am thankful for having a team to follow.  But you have to have some ambition and I feel this club is lacking some at the moment.

DN wants the club to be self financing this season, but if bad results continue the gate will be dangerously low, and budgets all round will have to be cut again.

I think it is time for DN and NK to take the bull by the horns, which route they take, I am sure will be the best for the club. BUT SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE NOW

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »

Pretty obvious from the video that no-one seems to want to put a tackle in or get the ball back. I think the team should be told they ARE allowed to tackle and get the ball back and not stand off from the attackers every time. Sounds silly but it's true - just check this video

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

Pretty obvious from the video that no-one seems to want to put a tackle in or get the ball back. I think the team should be told they ARE allowed to tackle and get the ball back and not stand off from the attackers every time. Sounds silly but it's true - just check this video

And Sleath was in the stand? Why, for having the decency to try and win the ball?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »
Wow, they werent joking when they said it could have been 10.

On another note it would be awesome if we could do this sort of match hghlights on youtube.