Author Topic: Harrogate Match  (Read 3301 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Harrogate Match
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Thought Harrogate were pretty good actually. Can see why they are near the top of the league. Lots of pace and importantly, they used it to good effect going forwards as a unit.

They always seemed to be in control of the game and I think we did well to get a draw in the end - despite them getting a very dubious penalty from where I was sat.

TEP

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harrogate Match
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:43:03 AM »
Both teams going for it.
Both teams could have won.
Both teams making mistakes.
Both teams hitting  woodwork.
Ref for the most part OK. Except for pen and I think their third where their guy  appeared to push the ball forward with his hand. Those on half way line would have had a better view.
An entertaining  game.
Thing is nfu have scored 5 in last two games and have 6 points
We've scored  6 and only have 1 point!
Tweaking required :)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:45 AM »
Both teams good going forward, but Harrogate the better side and should have scored a couple more. We did well to not give in, and we can now rely on Pidge to score (5 consecutive appearances he's now scored in)!

We have good defenders, but something isn't quite right. Whether it's Mills not being a natural centre-back (even though he plays brilliantly), or that he and Pidge are 'all-action' defenders (especially Mills, who is often out of position after taking throw ins).

Point gained, but we must be beating Corby this Saturday.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »
If you were a neutral we are a fantastic side to watch.  I’m not.  So while it’s great to see the forward play and the young team growing together it’s a massive frustration that we continue to ship goals (mostly soft) so often. 

Strange thing is if you take each one of the back four you would probably not change them, all last night for example had decent games.  Garner however was well below par last night in my view, first half especially.  Richards is another fantastic prospect but physically will always be up against it.  Conundrum is, individually you cannot see a weak link in the back four and the midfield two in front, but collectively something is not right.

This season looks to be playing out like a Newcastle mid-90s affair; we have to outscore to get anything.  I think it’s going to continue to be a fun but frustrating.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Conundrum is, individually you cannot see a weak link in the back four and the midfield two in front, but collectively something is not right.

Pidge's goal scoring exploits, as magnificent as they are, offer some clue. I'm starting to think that it's all Southwell's fault. Well, not quite like that... I mean, we're clearly over reliant on him for goals in the forward positions, and we're getting pretty much next to no goals from those immediately around and behind him. So we're compensating and using Pidge at set-pieces, because he's bloody good at them. Problem is, the moment you start using your defenders as your next best source of goals, from set-pieces or whatever, you're then prone to being caught on the break, or losing your shape, or not holding the line and so on and so on.

It's not Pidge's fault - for my money he's one of the best, if not THE best players in the league. And as you say, it's not anyone's else either - it's a very good defence, taken individually. It's a structure thing. This probably explains why Dennis has gone out looking for more attackers - he knows his defenders are bloody good, he's probably just fed up with having to disrupt his back four during matches searching for goals that should be coming from players in more advanced positions.

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
As others have said, we were lucky to get anything from last nights game. Harrogate should of buried us good and proper. Given the amount of chances they had, if it wasn't for young Ravas pulling off some brilliant saves we could of been hammered. I really feel for Ravas, he's left totaly exposed at times. There's such a compliancy in our defending at times by players failing to close down, being out of position and not making the tackles. For the first 20 minutes they had us on the ropes and we looked like a team without a plan, everything by us was far to predicatble.

Maybe teams are starting to work us out and exploit our weaknesses after scouting us. There was cerytainly far too many long punts up the pitch. I sympathise with the defenders, as there was at times zero off the ball movement giving us no hope of playing it on the deck. Thankfully our efforts improved in the second half and the two substitutes instantly made an impact. Suddenly passes were being made, players were supporting one another by moving into space and the tackles were being made. Just shame we couldn't of started so brightly in the first half. A couple of poor decisions by the ref I feel, but we did well to recover and gain a point from what looked like a possible second defeat in a row.

There's some serious questions to be answered in terms of defending. I use the term defending because this is the responsibility of the whole team, not just the back four. Looking at the league table, there's only 1 team that have conceeded more goals than us (32). We have a goal difference of 0. It's so risky relying upon the stratergy of if they score one we'll score two. The games against Ferriby and Harrogate have proven that things need to be tightened up. It speaks volumes when you see how many goals have come from our defenders. Now that isn't necessarily a neagtive that defenders are scoring but you have to consider while they're attacking, who's covering these positions and unfortunately we're easy to score against. Maybe we should be less adventurous and curtail our openness at times in order for us not to need to score 3 goals just to get a draw. It's a predicament for the manager as no doubt he prefers our attacking style but at what cost do you attack. I'd prefer us to be a more solid team and scrap the wins out and do it ugly rather than chase games like men possessed. Maybe some will disagree and enjoy the excitment that comes with the current way of playing. Maybe a balance can be struck between the two styles over the next couple of games.

Anway, well done to all last night. It took real grit and determination not to give up the fight and these players have proved they're all battlers. See you all Saturday.

UTP

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
Great to read other posts that are a genuine critique as opposed to the  usual the managers crap and the players  are too small and/or not good enough.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
Conundrum is, individually you cannot see a weak link in the back four and the midfield two in front, but collectively something is not right.

Pidge's goal scoring exploits, as magnificent as they are, offer some clue. I'm starting to think that it's all Southwell's fault. Well, not quite like that... I mean, we're clearly over reliant on him for goals in the forward positions, and we're getting pretty much next to no goals from those immediately around and behind him. So we're compensating and using Pidge at set-pieces, because he's bloody good at them. Problem is, the moment you start using your defenders as your next best source of goals, from set-pieces or whatever, you're then prone to being caught on the break, or losing your shape, or not holding the line and so on and so on.

It's not Pidge's fault - for my money he's one of the best, if not THE best players in the league. And as you say, it's not anyone's else either - it's a very good defence, taken individually. It's a structure thing. This probably explains why Dennis has gone out looking for more attackers - he knows his defenders are bloody good, he's probably just fed up with having to disrupt his back four during matches searching for goals that should be coming from players in more advanced positions.

In every league every game do i see defenders going up for corners free kicks and the like so that.  Also on a different note three goals isnt bad for a predictable defence