Author Topic: South Stand  (Read 2314 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
South Stand
« on: November 28, 2022, 04:05:07 PM »
As spotted by Christian James, the club recently submitted revised plans for the South Stand. These plans have been approved without further consultation with the community or planning officers as it was felt the proposed amendments were in keeping with the original purpose of the existing, approved plans.

The amendments mainly focus on the community sports facilities, the biggest change being the removal of the climbing wall. This will be replaced by a soft play area and a slightly larger cafe to serve the 3G pitches. The direct link between the West Stand and gym/dance studio has now been removed, presumably to bring down costs.

The biggest change from a matchday point of view is the addition of a new supporters’ bar to alleviate the queues seen in Ellenders. I think this is an excellent idea as Ellenders really does get annoyingly busy on popular matchdays.

The new stand will now have a smaller capacity than originally planned, down from 750 to 630. The reason for this is the inclusion of seating. Although this brings the overall capacity of the stadium down from 5223 to 5103, it actually frees up seats in the West Stand that would otherwise have been occupied by away fans, so this slightly increases the capacity of the stadium for home fans.

Hopefully now the plans have been approved we will see construction start next year!

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: South Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Great to hear of progress on the South Stand, will great to see the stadium finished.

Having seats in away stand makes sense as some will want to sit. I remember a Kidderminister fan on here when they played us last year asking why no seating for away fans. Reduced away capacity won't be an issue unless we get promotion to National League then there will likely be 2 or 3 matches a season when that won't be enough (Notts County, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe of current NL clubs although likely to change by the time we get there, we could play Scunthorpe in NL North next year as they are struggling), hopefully they can keep the option of giving the current away section of east stand in addition to south should it be needed. Think there's only 1 match I can remember since we've been back in non league where we've had more than 600 away fans that being about 10 years ago when FCUM brought a load.

David Newton clearly putting a lot of thought into making sure the stadium is the best facility it can be for the club and overall facilities for the town. Will be forever grateful for the stadium he's built us.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: South Stand
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 01:18:17 PM »
If I recall correctly (I've only been inside once), the East Stand has been divided by a permanent wall. It might be better to install shutters to easily divide the stand up if away fan demand necessitates it.