Author Topic: Charity Run - Sunday 19th June  (Read 2178 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Charity Run - Sunday 19th June
« on: June 03, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
In December 2007 Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, was diagnosed with a rare early-onset form of Alzheimer's. So for the last three years I have entered Jane Tomlinson's 10K Run for All in Leeds to try to raise some money for Alzheimer's Research UK to fund research to help people like Terry from losing their thinking skills. Well it's time for run number four as once again I'm planning on doing the Run for All in Leeds. I'm hoping that despite the harsh economic climate my friends will dig deep to add to the total of more than £3000 they have generously donated for the previous runs. It has been really appreciated by both myself and Alzheimer's Research UK. They are funding some great research and every day they’re getting closer to discovering the breakthrough that could change so many lives. Your donation will be funding more top research that will discover ways to help people like Terry from losing their thinking skills.

The run takes place this year on Sunday 19th June at 9am so it could be hot! Leeds based Patterers may have spotted me huffing and puffing as I run round Woodhouse Moor in the evenings training. It is expected that more than 10,000 runners will be taking part again and my target is to maintain my record of completing the course in less minutes than I am years old. It would also be really nice to break 45 minutes or get into the top 500 for the first time. This year the celebrity runner is 38 year old Matt Dawson - England's most capped scrum-half, "Question of Sport" team captain and "Celebrity Masterchef" winner. The Leeds Rhinos are also entering a team of fans. I'm sure there will be the usual collection of running fruit, nuns and superheroes out there as well.

My JustGiving page is now set up: http://www.justgiving.com/kenfox2011, so please dig deep and make a donation.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charity Run - Sunday 19th June
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
The training is going fairly well this week:

Saturday: Leeds parkrun 5K in 20:17
Sunday: Half marathon round the hills of Headingley in 1:37:45
Tuesday: Yorkshire Veterans five mile multi-terrain race up and down hills in Pudsey
Wednesday: Short hill session
Thursday: Nine mile tempo run round the local park

So that's it until the big race on Sunday morning. All I've got to do now is relax and pester you all for sponsorship!

http://www.justgiving.com/kenfox2011

For a change this year I'm running in the colours of Alzheimer's Research UK rather than my Boston United kit, so if you're watching look out for the purple running vest rather than the black and amber!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Well I did it. And it was good. It was a perfect Sunday morning. The forecast warm and windy weather failed to materialise. Instead it was cool and wet. Light rain all morning. I love running in the rain. It's so refreshing and I take great delight in sploshing through puddles. There was great camaraderie amongst the runners as we stood waiting for the start in the rain. Then more than 9000 of us set off on the 10km run on the stroke of nine. I was surprisingly fast. I didn't believe the rate my Garmin GPS kept telling me I was running at. Kept thinking I must blow up any second but I didn't. Great cheering by many friends from Hyde Park Harriers who had braved the rain to support from the side-lines kept me going. I finished in 42:19 in 150th place and 5th in M50-59 age category. If I keep improving like this I'll be winning it next year. I even beat Matt Dawson and Eddie Gray and not a running fruit, nun or superhero in sight. Fifty-two year old transport modellers beat professional sportsmen every time.

Many thanks to everyone who has sponsored me. For those who haven't it's not too late. You can still donate to Alzheimer's Research UK through my Justgiving page at: http://www.justgiving.com/kenfox2011

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »
Great work Ken!

I'm going back to the running, the Yorkshire 3 peaks on Saturday half killed me.  10h 40mins, 25 miles and 5,249ft of climbing.  Which when you are Boston born is like climbing to the Moon!!!