Author Topic: Liam Marrs  (Read 10492 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liam Marrs
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »
Experienced pros would cost a lot of money. Like I say we have to trust DG judgement and get behind him. He is doing a great job for us.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
Sorry Andy, I don't normally disagree with you, but I'm going to offer a slightly different opinion here ...

I don't think there's another club that takes its rejects and cast offs back like we do.

Under Lee and Canoville we were guilty of taking back too many of our former rejects and cast offs (Joachim, Dudfield, Parker, Bastock and Silk spring to mind, plus pre-season trials for Hocking and Stevens). But is this still the case under Dennis Greene? Apart from Silk last season, have any of Greene's other signings actually played for the club before? And in Silk's case I think Greene was actually putting right one of Graham Drury's mistakes!

I doubt it Pat.......and if I remember not too many people wanted to see the back of Miller in the 1st place........can't say the same for Semple.

I thought Ryan Semple did a good job for us in his previous spell, and plenty of people were sorry to see him leave. I think the reception he gets when he returns to York Street as an opposing player proves that point. (Compare it against the reception that someone like Jamie Yates gets when he comes back).  Semple did lose his way a bit under Lee and Canoville, but wasn't that more a reflection of the management team than it was of Semple? He got 15 goals in a struggling Corby side last season, so under the right management I think he is still a player with something to offer.

Looking at the Bury Town website Semple was virtually ever-present for them this season up until 14th December, when he was injured against Harrow Borough and had to be substituted early in the game. He hasn't started a match there since. If there is a doubt about him, then my concern would be more around his current fitness rather than his previous track record.

I noted with great interest Danny Higginbotham has just joined Alty.........why doesn't our manager go looking for experienced ex pro's, not non league journeymen? Our turnover of playing staff is extraordinary and its a big reason why we're probably going to fall a bit short (although its a massive improvement on the last 2 years)........

I agree that our turnover of players doesn't help us. I know you're only using Danny Higginbotham as an example, but I think Altrincham were only able to sign him because he is based near there. Every time we try and sign a player from further afield - Holsgrove, Sansara, Hall, etc - it always seems to end up a short-term fix rather than a long-term signing and then adds to our player turnover. Realistically, our catchment is within the constraints of Peterborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield. Marrs would be a great signing if made permanent, but I'd have concerns about the long term viability of that if he remained based in the North East. There might be hundreds of players out there looking for clubs who would add plenty to our team, but these players are much fewer and further between when you take geographical and financial issues into account.

By the law of averages there must be players within our catchment who have the experience of someone like Higginbotham, who are currently without clubs and who could add to our team. But I follow the game in this region quite closely, and to be honest I'm struggling to think of one! Can anyone name names?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:38:03 PM by leicester pilgrim »

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
Good post Leicester pilgrim. To be honest I don't care about names I just want to see players who have quality and want to work hard for our football club. DG signings so far have proved just that. I trust his judgement and if he feels semple can add something then great. What other positions do you think we need to strengthen in??

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »
A big mobile striker would be nice

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
Good points LP - I would have written the same if I wasn't watching a Fish DVD :)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »
I heard that semple was one. I think we defo need a box to box midfielder and maybe a target man aswell

Shauney you seem to be in the know mate. A target man? Are you sure Sir??? >:( and then what, see our other so called forwards wasted defending twenty yards into our half. Would you really be happy with that?

IMO what we need is clear, strength, energy and guile through the middle, everything else looks sorted especially with the brilliant news about Marrs

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
A big mobile striker would be nice

Okay, okay, it must just be me who doesn't think we need a huge centre forward then, and with so many saying its exactly what we need, I now officially surrender my oppositon to that fact. Sod it, lets get another big mobile striker in then and perhaps when doing so play Scotty up front with him as well, that should appease those who obviously want to see even more lumping.

I need to lie down! ;D

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
Just read DG's comments in the Standard and the clus as LLyod Grossman would say are clear for all. Two wingers and a centre midfield player!

If that is the case then Semple could well be one of them, and of course if asked he would have to say no, as I would imagine as Dg suggests that the seven day approach has as yet either not elapsed or as he also suggests been waived to allow him and or a.n.other play Tuesday. It also suggests at long last that he is gearing up for the 4-4-2 he says he prefers. Another loanee from a league club is the one which interest me tho...................any ideas, anyone?

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
To be honest B.Grimes me personally would play with for me 2 of the best forwards in the league in miller and newsh up front but if DG insists on the big man up front then a target man could of been on the cards as garns is needed at the back and sanders is not good enough.  Two wingers and a central mid would be perfect as I think that with 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 we could really hurt teams in this league. I agree with your thoughts B.Grimes.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 04:44:31 PM »
I doubt it Pat.......and if I remember not too many people wanted to see the back of Miller in the 1st place........can't say the same for Semple.

I don't think there's another club that takes its rejects and cast offs back like we do.

There are literally hundreds of players out there looking for clubs and who would bring plenty to our team, yet we always seem to be linked with players deemed surplus to requirements a year or two previous.

I noted with great interest Danny Higginbotham has just joined Alty.........why doesn't our manager go looking for experienced ex pro's, not non league journeymen? Our turnover of playing staff is extraordinary and its a big reason why we're probably going to fall a bit short (although its a massive improvement on the last 2 years)........

Come on Dennis, we deserve better than Ryan Semple, get out there and bring in another Marrs or Steer, they are out there.

Tend to agree with you about Semple .   Experienced no-league pro,s !!! ,  I think you have been listening to the crap spoken by those old farts that you stand near on the Spayne terrace Andy .
Too many mercenaries and crocks in that catergory ,   you could list me hundreds we,ve had over the years .
Add Pieriginni, Galvinski, King to the Steer and Marrs list, another 2/3 in that mould and I will be happy clapping.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
Where as this about Semple come from. I know yesterday he did not have a game so came to catch up with some mates at Boston but i have not heard owt about him coming back

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
Where as this about Semple come from. I know yesterday he did not have a game so came to catch up with some mates at Boston but i have not heard owt about him coming back

Speculation .   

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »
I would welcome semps back if that were to happen.  you don't become a fans favorite for no reason !  as for the call for a big front man in, why ???  we have played good passing football this season through the middle, no hoof ball.  so i am guessing those that call for a big man prefer direct hoof ball football then.  i would prefer another striker with pace and proven at this level at least.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »

There are literally hundreds of players out there looking for clubs and who would bring plenty to our team, yet we always seem to be linked with players deemed surplus to requirements a year or two previous.

Come on Dennis, we deserve better than Ryan Semple, get out there and bring in another Marrs or Steer, they are out there.

Danny Higginbotham has left Alty after playing two games .