Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 9804 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Today's game
« on: December 17, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
Guiseley 2 United 1 FT

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
Not a bad result against decent team! A Very Happy Clapping Xmas !

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
Speculation that Alan White is going back to Blyth.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
Cost cutting? Must cost the club a few quid on petrol money!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
Not a bad result against decent team! A Very Happy Clapping Xmas !

Marvelous!!!!

Great to see how far we've come since the summer really.........I mean, this time last year we could only dream of being closer to the relegation places than the play offs.......

Great work from the mis-management duo.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »
Come on Norty40! Look at all those football in the community and youth football teams the club have nowadays!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
Its good we have involvement at so many levels, I'll never knock that.Its been one of DN's great achievements in his time here, and for that alone we should be grateful.

But these two are never managers as long as I've got a hole in my arse.......good honest players, can't ever take that away from them, but managers?

Do me a favour.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
It sounded like we gave it a good go this afternoon but a someone said on United Live we can't expect to get results at places like Stalybridge and Guiseley with the squad we've got at the moment.

Don't forget that even in the promotion season it wasn't until this time of year or later that key players like Yates and Semple arrived.  I'm not saying we could get promoted this year, because that is very unlikely, but we need to get to a position of safety asap then start building for next year.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
A few pics. More to follow.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Some more pics. More to follow.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »
Sorry my last post should have been under this heading.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
Final set of pics.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Didn't go today, I don't miss many but sounds like there wasn't a lot in the game. The last few games against the top sides (Hyde X 2, Stalybridge, Gainsborough, Guiseley and Corby) I think on the whole we have competed well and are only really a decent striker away from getting better results (although 2 wins, a draw and 3 defeats isn't that bad). If we can start to get the required results against the strugglers I think we can give the playoffs a good go. As I said previously there's always 1 team that makes a run after xmas and with a decent striker I can see that being us.

* I Await being shot down by endless negativity  ::)

The next 4 (Eastwood H and A, Blyth H and Stortford H) must see us get 12 points though if we are to give ourselves any chance of making those playoffs.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »
agree woad pilgrim!but i cant see our managers getting a decent striker this decade.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »
We started of really well, ball on the ground and passing it through their defence, focusing particularly on our left hand side against Jamie Clarke (who didn't play very well at all, both Semple and Kirk ran him ragged). The goal came with a great finish by Newsh, slotting it under the keeper.

Unfortunately, we then sat back and we aren't good enough to defend a 1 goal lead against Guiseley for 82 minutes. They equalised from a harshly-awarded free kick, which was blasted into the corner. Guiseley played the ball about in our half, mixing it up when they needed to.

I thought we were going to escape with a draw, as we came into the game a bit more in the second half, without creating any clear cut chances (heard that before!). Eventually, a loose ball in the area was smashed home.

Newsh had a great chance to equalise on the turn in the last few minutes, but hit just wide. Kirk especially had a great game but was tiring when he came off, but it was surprising that the new striker wasn't brought on when they scored.

With the news about White, we really need to bolster the defence - we cannot rely on Canners to play every game with his recent injury record.