Author Topic: What a disastrous decision Drury is turning out to be  (Read 10913 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: What a disastrous decision Drury is turning out to be
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
Jason Lee actually started as well as Dennis Greene has. He started this season (his first in sole charge) with four straight wins (two Lincs County Shield and two Conference North), including three clean sheets. Also had two other three game winning streaks this season as well.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
A bit of perspective from Ken. A good point I think. However, C'mon you Pilgrims!  8)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
Jason Lee actually started as well as Dennis Greene has. He started this season (his first in sole charge) with four straight wins (two Lincs County Shield and two Conference North), including three clean sheets. Also had two other three game winning streaks this season as well.

Yesterday we started with 10 of Lees signings , previous match we started with started with 9 of his signings .   Well done to Dennis for finding the winning formula ,  good set of players to work with signed by a manager with "no contacts " whatever that means .

Chelsea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
GHM perhaps Mr B could let us know

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
Agree - Mr Newton originally chose (like most corporate employers do these days) the Candidate that "ticked all the boxes" (Drury) rather than the "gut instinct" best man for the job (Greene). It has cost us dear this season. Greene would have got us into the play offs. Simple as that. Employers are always responsible for the staff they employ and the selection process they use.

Wht an absurd thing to say. You can believe it, but it has to be pointed out, what you cite as fact tis but an opinion

Like every supporter I am ecstatic with the last three games, but maybe is because I come from a different genration than most, who knows, I refuse to join this endless Drury bashing thats geting as boring as his follows, but we all bemaoned the fact, and with good reason that his disciples came on almost by the hour to preach his doctrines and exault his praises, but here we are, he's gone, and as far as I am concerned long forgotten about, so is there really a need for this endless stream of poison and nastiness?

A forum full of if onlys, and what ifs, and if Drury had done this or hadn't done this, Newton was conned or wasn't, we should be top of the league. all of it will drive you into the arms of the local sanitorium. Cant we jus be content with what has happening at the moment and even if tempted otherwise, and bearing in mind it has only been three games, speculation and talk of this manner can only do one thing....bring disappointment, and we have surely had enough of that recently

Another day, another club who knows what would have happened with Drury. On paper, and forgetting his "apparent" boastings to DN, he was the best candidate at the time, and certainly carried more credentials than DG, and how do we know, becase DN told us so, so why cant we forget it, move on and congratulate DG who in different circumstances and at a different time has managed to hit the floor running, get the team playing with confidence and get the lads to keep clean sheets, thats all I care about

God luck to Drury thats what I say. We are obviously as disapointed as you no doubt are (probably moreso) that it didn't work out and I for one will not get drawn into this nasty titlle tattle, especially as you are no longer here I just cant see the point

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
Agree - Mr Newton originally chose (like most corporate employers do these days) the Candidate that "ticked all the boxes" (Drury) rather than the "gut instinct" best man for the job (Greene). It has cost us dear this season. Greene would have got us into the play offs. Simple as that. Employers are always responsible for the staff they employ and the selection process they use.

Wht an absurd thing to say. You can believe it, but it has to be pointed out, what you cite as fact tis but an opinion

Like every supporter I am ecstatic with the last three games, but maybe is because I come from a different genration than most, who knows, I refuse to join this endless Drury bashing thats geting as boring as his follows, but we all bemaoned the fact, and with good reason that his disciples came on almost by the hour to preach his doctrines and exault his praises, but here we are, he's gone, and as far as I am concerned long forgotten about, so is there really a need for this endless stream of poison and nastiness?

A forum full of if onlys, and what ifs, and if Drury had done this or hadn't done this, Newton was conned or wasn't, we should be top of the league. all of it will drive you into the arms of the local sanitorium. Cant we jus be content with what has happening at the moment and even if tempted otherwise, and bearing in mind it has only been three games, speculation and talk of this manner can only do one thing....bring disappointment, and we have surely had enough of that recently

Another day, another club who knows what would have happened with Drury. On paper, and forgetting his "apparent" boastings to DN, he was the best candidate at the time, and certainly carried more credentials than DG, and how do we know, becase DN told us so, so why cant we forget it, move on and congratulate DG who in different circumstances and at a different time has managed to hit the floor running, get the team playing with confidence and get the lads to keep clean sheets, thats all I care about

God luck to Drury thats what I say. We are obviously as disapointed as you no doubt are (probably moreso) that it didn't work out and I for one will not get drawn into this nasty titlle tattle, especially as you are no longer here I just cant see the point

+ 1 on What he said

Dogbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
Agreed.  Where we're going is always more important than where we've been.

(BOOM - that's the "philosophical post of the year 2013" award in the bag!)

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
Anyone who attended the meet the manager night at the Pilgrim Lounge would have to admit that Drury came across very well. He may have been a little unlucky with his coach having a heart attack so early on, but I can quite see how he would have put together a good performance at interview.

In retrospect was he a bad appointment? - yes it looks that way, but we can all be wise after the event. I was rooting for Greene from the start of the process - and I hope he gets the nod for next season after the next win. However, there is no point in criticising GD's appointment - that was in the past - let us just move on(ward and upward).

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
Anyone who attended the meet the manager night at the Pilgrim Lounge would have to admit that Drury came across very well. He may have been a little unlucky with his coach having a heart attack so early on, but I can quite see how he would have put together a good performance at interview.

In retrospect was he a bad appointment? - yes it looks that way, but we can all be wise after the event. I was rooting for Greene from the start of the process - and I hope he gets the nod for next season after the next win. However, there is no point in criticising GD's appointment - that was in the past - let us just move on(ward and upward).

I do fully agree, he was a decent guy to talk to and was very friendly person in the bar after the matches, Then on the flip side to that he very quickly lost what seems to be any respect from the players. I remember when lee was sacked and the players was very quick to take the blame for this. On this time round they do not seem to be, So whatever we thought about him couldnt have been the full truth, You dont piss that many people of in 13 matches and be a nice guy

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
LEE started the rot ,IMO lee thought he were to good for boston as player and a manager.
again IMO he failed both as a player and manager.
drury failed to sort the mess out,so lets all move on and forget.

AGL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

I do fully agree, he was a decent guy to talk to and was very friendly person in the bar after the matches, Then on the flip side to that he very quickly lost what seems to be any respect from the players. I remember when lee was sacked and the players was very quick to take the blame for this. On this time round they do not seem to be, So whatever we thought about him couldnt have been the full truth, You dont piss that many people of in 13 matches and be a nice guy

I'm not sure what went wrong with GD. He's always built a decent rapport with chairmen, players, fans, tea ladies etc. wherever he's been before.

Someone on here, not so long ago, raised the point that maybe he wasn't so great at dealign with higher profile players. I can see some truth in this. At Corby, he took them up to the Conf North ans was utilising players that made the team greater than the sum of its parts. Seems the opposite was true at Boston. Maybe DG, with his pro background, finds the better, higher profile players easier to deal with.

Simon Clark, on the other hand, whilst at Stamford and also seemingly at Worksop, seems to struggle with the man management as he's used to sticking one in to full time players that can't answer him back. At non-league. players just told him to stick it and went elsewhere.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
We all make mistakes, even the bosses. He tried something out and it didn't seem to work, he removed what he thought was the faulty part and replaced it with a different type. The new part at the moment is working well, we can only hope it continues to keep working until the end of the season. Then perhaps the new part, feeling bedded in, can take stock of things and build for the future. We need this up and running better next season, we don't want any more faulty parts screwing things up!

check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry  :bunny
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
LEE started the rot ,IMO lee thought he were to good for boston as player and a manager.

Sour grapes miele, why don't you move on!  You must have some of Drury's builders dust on your glasses if you can't see how happy the Boston squad is now and, oh yes, they are nearly all Jason Lee's men and still seem to have respect for the man.
United we stand..................

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »

Sour grapes miele, why don't you move on!  You must have some of Drury's builders dust on your glasses if you can't see how happy the Boston squad is now and, oh yes, they are nearly all Jason Lee's men and still seem to have respect for the man.

if we had kept jason lee in charge, would we be worse or better off than when drury left? i believe we would have been better off with lee in charge than drury. With JL we were always a few players off really competing with drury we seemed like half a team short of winning a game. Under drury we was awful, playing players out of positions, berating them from the off, no wonder the players had no respect for him, these days you've got to earn respect. Granted drury may have brough in a couple of decent signings in lister and watt but he brought in rubbish like smith and walker, yet in his time in charge he got rid of kallum smith (without playing him) and fell out with silk and jelleyman too. unfortunately drurys not the right man for the job

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
Perhaps a little perspective is needed.

JL sacked, because his team was either underperforming, or not good enough. Drury was appointed, as the best candidate,( with a mandate to reduce costs?) but his team didn't perform for him. The big question is why?
DG has taken over essentially the same group, and results have been superb.

Players not putting in full effort because they don't like the manager is nothing new, but Drury has borne the brunt.