Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Pilgrims 2-2 Bristol Rovers

Coca Cola League

Only a month ago manager Steve Evans was boasting how fit his side was and how this was evident in the number of late goals they scored. Well those words came back to haunt him after this home clash against Bristol Rovers when the visiting side grabbed two goals in the last two minutes to take a share of the spoils. Boston started the match with a number of forced changes due to injuries in the squad. Matt O'Halloran and Courtney Pitt were out, allowing youngster Rob Norris to make his first team debut and Danny Thomas to step up from last week's subs' bench. Midfielder Tom Bennett was also missing - rumoured to have fallen out with the management team. In the first half both sides had good scoring chances but neither side was able to break the deadlock. Rovers' top scorer Junior Agogo had a run at goal soon after kick-off, but Mark Greaves was able to make a crucial clearance. Jason Lee then had two good chances at the other end but both his shots were wide. A cross by Craig Hinton picked out James Hunt whose shot was pushed round the post by Luke McCormick for a corner. David Noble then fired in a shot that required a diving save from Rovers' keeper Kevin Miller. McCormick almost gifted Bristol a goal when he ran out of his goal to attempt to clear a dangerous pass forward by Hinton, but his clearance only found Paul Trollope whose shot was cleared off the line by Dean West. At half time Lee Thompson came on for Rob Norris, who had run himself into the ground on his debut.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first with chances at both ends. Boston however took the lead in the 68th minute. Bristol had trouble dealing with a Noble corner. After failing to clear the ball Andy Kirk headed the ball towards Jason LEE and keeper Kevin Miller could only divert Lee's effort into his own net. Six minutes later Boston increased their lead. A long range shot from Danny Thomas was parried by Miller, but the ball came out to KIRK who netted with a spectacular overhead kick. Stung into action by the two goal deficit, Bristol now began their quest to salvage something from the match. Agogo and Hunt both saw their efforts blocked by Boston defenders. Then with just two minutes of normal time remaining Bristol won a free kick just outside the area. Jamie FORRESTER's kick sailed past the Boston wall and into the top corner of the net. The goal spurred Bristol on and in added time they got an equaliser. Robbie Ryan crossed the ball to Craig Disley who found AGOGO who slammed the ball home with clinical accuracy from the edge of the area. At the end of the match Steve Evans commented: "We should have won the game. There's no excuses why we've no won the game and it's a big two points dropped. We've absolutely battered them and if they've got a different view then they must have been watching a different game".

United team: Luke McCormick, Lee Beevers, Austin McCann, Dean West, Paul Ellender, Mark Greaves, David Noble (Simon Rusk 89), Rob Norris (Lee Thompson 46), Andy Kirk, Jason Lee, Danny Thomas. Subs not used: Tam McManus, Chris Holland, Steve Melton.

Match report copyright © Ken Fox, 2004.