Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Wrexham clearance

Pilgrims 2-1 Wrexham

Coca-Cola League

All three new loan-signings appeared on the Boston team sheet. Michel Kuipers took his place between the posts and David Galbraith and Francis Green warmed the subs' bench. The match was also the last game for Ian Ross before his enforced return to Sheffield United at the end of his loan spell. After being rested for the midweek LDV Vans game, both Julian Joachim and Mark Greaves returned to the starting line-up. The first chance of the game fell to Bradley Maylett, but he headed Jason Lee's cross over the bar. Boston took the lead on 14 minutes. A Wrexham throw-in led to a half-baked clearance by Wrexham 'keeper Michael Ingram that only found the head of Jason Lee, who flicked the ball onto JOACHIM who ran into the box, rounded the 'keeper and slid the ball into net. The rest of the half was devoid of any significant chances at either end, apart from a long-range strike by Ian Ross just before half-time that was well saved by Ingram. Jason Lee squandered two great chances to increase Boston's lead after the break. Then Wrexham had a penalty appeal turned down after Lee McEvilly appeared to be brought down by Kuipers as he ran into the box, but the referee waived play-on.

Wrexham equalised on the hour when MCEVILLY got on the end of a throughball from Darren Ferguson and sidestepped Kuipers before slotting home. Wrexham almost took the lead, but Lee Roche's header across the face of the goal was just inches in front of the incoming McEvilly. The missed chance proved to be fatal when on 66 minutes Boston regained the lead. JOACHIM got his second after outpacing the Wrexham defence before firing the ball past Ingram. Both sides created some good goal-scoring chances in the closing stages, most notably a piledriver of a shot by Dennis Lawrence that was cleared by Alan White. But Boston held on and gained all three points. After the match Steve Evans said: "It was extremely tough. It was important that we won today. We deserved to be further in front at half-time. I don't think they've had a chance. They changed their system at half-time and got a goal. We tactically changed it at the right time and won the game."

United team: Michel Kuipers, Lee Canoville, Ben Futcher, Alan White, Mark Greaves, Simon Rusk, Ian Ross (David Galbraith 88), Stewart Talbot, Bradley Maylett (Francis Green 89), Julian Joachim (Lawrie Dudfield 90), Jason Lee. Subs not used: Paul Ellender, Chris Holland.

Match report copyright © Ken Fox 2005. Photograph copyright © Pat Everitt 2005.