Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Pilgrims 2-0 Rothwell Town

Dr Martens League

Stoppage time heroes David Norris and Paul Watts propelled Boston United to their fourth successive Dr Martens League win. The duo got their names on the scoresheet at the end of each half respectively as the Pilgrims regained the Premier Division top spot. Opponents Rothwell certainly set out their stall to frustrate Steve Evans' side with a well-organised competitiveness to their game plan. "A triumph for patience," was how United boss Evans described his team's achievement. He said. "Rothwell always made life difficult for us. They got 11 men behind the ball on numerous occasions and slowed the game down whenever they could. But I was pleased with the way we stayed patient and kept probing. Our goal just before half-time probably disheartened them a bit, but they still made it tough for us after the break." The first breakthrough came when energetic midfielder NORRIS nodded in from close range after both Dave Rennie and Mickey Nuttell had managed faint flick-ons to a deep Gary Porter free-kick. The icing on the cake stemmed from a headed Joby Gowshall clearance inside his own area.

Porter seized possession and hammered a 50-yard pass upfield for WATTS to shake off the attentions of defender Rob Gould and power through to fire beyond keeper John Hughes. Arguably it was the least Boston deserved for their efforts. But they will probably reflect on one key moment when fortune shone big-style on a murky night. That was in the 77th minute when Graham Keast got behind the United defence and squared for an unmarked Danny Marlow to fire goalwards from eight yards. Paul Bastock did brilliantly to push away the shot, only for the ball to drop at Andy Bullimore's feet. But with the net at his mercy, he somehow blazed wide. Effectively that was Rothwell's only real moment of danger. In response, Boston always looked the more threatening. Early on, Porter drilled two skimmers just wide and then Norris scuffed an effort past a post. In the second half, Rawle and Norris went close yet again while - after going 2-0 up - Watts twice had efforts turned aside by Hughes.

United team: 1. Paul Bastock, 2. Joby Gowshall, 3. Paul Wilson, 4. Colin Hoyle, 5. Peter Costello, 6. David Rennie, 7. Andrew Stanhope, 8. Gary Porter, 9. Mickey Nuttell, 10. Mark Rawle, 11. David Norris, 12. Paul Watts, 14. Andy Taylor, 15. Jason Burnham.

This report originally appeared in the Lincolnshire Echo.