Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Pilgrims 0-5 Carlisle United

Coca Cola League

Boston United crashed to their worst ever League defeat with it looking like the chickens are beginning to come home to roost. Racking up over a million pounds of debt to finance an ego trip for manager Steve Evans is clearly unsustainable for a small town club like Boston. Dwindling gate receipts have already forced the departure of high earners David Noble, Jason Lee and Ben Futcher and they have been replaced by loaned youngsters who aren't quite up to the job but who may delay the inevitable breaking of the bank for a few more days. Steve Evans stuck with the same players that had conjured up a win against a Chester side in free fall on Saturday. The only change was that Peter Till started in place of Asa Hall. Carlisle took the lead after just five minutes. A long ball forward found Karl HAWLEY whose first effort was blocked by Austin McCann, but the ball fell back to him and he volleyed it back past Conrad Logan. The visitors soon had another good chance when a shot by Michael Bridges was deflected away from Logan by Lee Canoville only for the ball to pass just wide of the goal. James Keene should have done better when he met a cross from the right by Peter Till, but he volleyed his effort wide.

Keene wasted another good chance minutes later when presented with an open goal with players appealing for a handball decision after Stewart Talbot's shot appeared to hit Danny Livesey's arm. But the young striker slid the ball wide of the far post. Boston finished the half strongly and there was little indication of the carnage that would follow in the second half. Boston wasted a good opportunity in the 53rd minute when Galbraith won a free kick just outside the area after being brought down after running past three Carlisle defenders. He took the kick himself but struck it straight into the defensive wall. Carlisle doubled their lead four minutes later when BRIDGES powered the ball home after being picked out by Derek Holmes. The visitors went three up on 63 minutes. BRIDGES showed great skill to control a long pass forward by Danny Livesey before knocking the ball into the net via the upright. BRIDGES got his hat-trick 10 minutes from time when he fired home a free kick from 20 yards out after Paul Ellender had fouled Hawley. HAWLEY completed the rout on the stroke of full time with a long range effort that took a deflection before nestling into the back of the net. After the match Steve Evans said: "Normally I'd defend my players. It's an absolute disgrace. For them to deliver that in the second half is totally unacceptable."

United team: Conrad Logan, Lee Canoville, Paul Ellender, Alan White, Austin McCann, Simon Rusk (Chris Holland 68), Stewart Talbot, Peter Till, David Galbraith (Asa Hall 64), James Keene (Lawrie Dudfield 56), Julian Joachim. Subs not used: Bradley Maylett, Gary Silk.

Match report copyright © Ken Fox 2006.