Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Wilson Sandwich

Pilgrims 4-1 Nuneaton Borough

Nationwide Conference

Boston United received an early Christmas present today when they took all three points in a game, where on recent form they would probably have accepted just one. They were gifted an early lead when after just one minute of play, Nuneaton midfielder Shaun WRAY hit a superb strike past his own keeper when trying to clear a Gary Mills cross. The Boston lead only lasted for quarter of an hour as Nuneaton equalised through a hotly disputed penalty after striker Delton Francis dived to the ground after running into the area and meeting a challenge by Paul Bastock. Bastock was booked and Ian KING slotted home the spot kick. Nuneaton then had the better of the chances in the remainder of the first half. Apart from a couple of corners won by the ever dangerous Charlery, Boston didn't trouble Chris Mackenzie in the Nuneaton goal. Nuneaton's chances mostly came down the right wing, but good breaks were kept out by a combination of desperate last ditch defending and poor finishing in front of goal. Boston started the second half brightly. Raynor broke free down the left wing and his cross was headed inches wide by Rawle.

Then a pinpoint through ball by Rawle set up Charlery who shot into the side netting. Nuneaton's Richard Mitchell was booked for diving, following a sliding challenge by Bastock. Out of the blue, Boston took the lead. A one-two between Dick and Raynor gave Raynor enough space to send a cross towards the feet of Rawle. From the edge of the area, with a defender in close attendance, RAWLE instinctively controlled the ball, turned and planted an unstoppable shot into the top right hand corner of the goal. A few minutes later Boston increased their lead when a forward pass by Dick found Charlery, who shrugged off his marker and crossed to RAWLE to tap home. The result was put beyond any doubt when an attempted punched clearance of a swirling Joby Gowshall cross by Mackenzie bounced off the unfortunate Carl BACON into his own net. Peter Costello continued his return from injury by coming on for Paul Wilson for the last fifteen minutes as the game was played out to its conclusion.

United team: 1. Bastock, 2. Gowshall, 3. Lodge, 4. Hoyle, 5. Howarth, 6. Wilson (Costello), 7. Mills, 8. Charlery (Fewings), 9. Raynor, 10. Rawle (Nuttell), 11. Dick. Subs not used: Lucas, Conroy.

Match report and photo by Ken Fox.