Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Cambridge City 0-2 Pilgrims

Dr Martens League

Match Report by Barbara Singleton

Defenders Paul Wilson and Colin Hoyle were the unlikely heroes as Boston United conquered their first away challenge of the season. The Pilgrims overcame awkward opposition from on a greasy surface to make it a maximum haul of six points from their opening two Dr Martens League Premier Division fixtures. It wasn't the smoothest of victory performances, but United dug in with a fine competitive edge when Cambridge City had spells of ascendancy. But goals from Wilson (penalty) and Hoyle early and late in proceedings guaranteed an early-season Premier Division top spot. Full-back WILSON was on target in the 11th minute with a rifling spot-kick high into the net after home player Keith Newby had handled in his own area. Centre-back HOYLE made sure of the spoils in the 85th minute when he ventured upfield to convert from close range after an Andrew Stanhope shot had been blocked. In grabbing their goals, the Pilgrims' defensive marksmen celebrated quick scoring doubles, having also both been on target in their team's six-goal opening day drubbing of Salisbury. Last night's triumph was largely about Boston showing the right sort of resolve - epitomised by midfielder Peter Costello, who barely put a foot wrong with a display of strong tackling and positive distribution throughout.

United, in fact, generally looked in good nick in the centre of the park where Gary Porter and Stanhope both went close with shots from distance in the first few minutes. The Boston defence, however, always had to be alert to threats posed by City's coincidentally-named striker Ian Cambridge. He was a constant danger, notably testing United keeper Paul Bastock with a 25th minute cross-shot and then seeing another fine effort bounce off the bar. In addition, other home chances saw Kris Huckstepp fire over from 25 yards, an Andy Kirkup shot being blocked by Joby Gowshall and - in the second half - another Huckstepp effort testing Bastock's reflexes. But Boston also had some other bright moments. Paul Watts and Costello both fired wide in the first half, while a David Norris diving header was blocked by the City defence and then scrambled clear. More United opportunities materialised after the break. Mickey Nuttell and Porter saw shots deflected for corners and then the former went close with a header from Costello's cross. Teenage substitute Danny Dack came on in place of the injured Watts on 74 minutes and almost instantly had the ball in the net, only to see the effort ruled out for a push. In the dying throes both keepers were called into action - City's Martin Davies thwarting Norris's thumping 30-yard drive and Boston's Bastock denying Kirkup.

United team: 1. Paul Bastock, 2. Joby Gowshall, 3. Paul Wilson, 4. Colin Hoyle, 5. Peter Costello, 6. David Rennie, 7. Andrew Stanhope, 8. Gary Porter, 9. Mickey Nuttell, 10. Paul Watts, 11. David Norris, 12. Danny Dack, 14. Andy Taylor, 15. Jason Burnham.

This report originally appeared in the Lincolnshire Echo. Reproduced here with the author's permission.