Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Barnet 3-3 Pilgrims

Coca-Cola League

It's all becoming clear. Steve Evans is going to pull the old feigning insanity trick to try and get out of something he doesn't want to do. Like Blackadder, I expect he will soon be putting his underpants on his head, sticking a pencil in each nostril and saying "Wibble". The first sign of madness was a pre-match out-of-the-blue bid to bring Chester City's settled captain Stephen Vaughan to York Street. Not surprisingly it didn't bear fruit. Boston began the match by winning a series of corners and free kicks. The first shot of note came from one of the free kicks on the edge of the area, but Stewart Talbot's effort was inches off target. The near miss faded from memory on 23 minutes when David GALBRAITH put Boston in front from another free kick after Francis Green had been fouled by Simon King. The lead only lasted six minutes. Jason Puncheon crossed from the right giving Magno VIERA a simple tap-in from close range. It looked like Barnet would get on top when ten minutes from the interval they were awarded a penalty after Jamie Clarke fouled Puncheon. But Ian Hendon fired his spot kick straight at Andy Marriott who kept the ball out with his legs. Barnet were mystified when just before half-time Boston won a penalty.

A long range shot by Tim Ryan was saved by Lee Harrison and the referee then spotted an off-the-ball foul by Simon King on Francis Green and pointed to the spot. Tim RYAN slotted home his third penalty goal of the season. Barnet came close to levelling the scores soon after the second half kicked off. A 30 yard free kick by Nick Bailey required a good save by Andy Marriott. It signalled a period of Barnet domination and it was no surprise when they equalised on 62 minutes when VIERA got his second goal, again being supplied by Puncheon. Barnet soon had a good shout for a penalty when Mark Albrighton handled the ball whilst attempting an overhead clearance, but the referee was unmoved. He did however spot the ball striking Ian Hendon's arm seven minutes from time to gift RYAN his second penalty strike of the night. There was still time for more drama. Three minutes into time added on a cross came into the box from the wing, it was flicked on by Simon King to Giuliano GRAZIOLI who planted the ball in the back of the net to give Barnet a share of the points. After the match Steve Evans said: "Individual errors cost us again. Wibble."

United team: Andy Marriott, Jamie Clarke, Tim Ryan, Mark Albrighton, Paul Ellender, David Farrell, Stewart Talbot, Richie Ryan (Paul Tait 70), David Galbraith, Anthony Elding (Bob Davidson 76), Francis Green (Dany N'Guessan 89). Subs not used: Ben Kirby, Jamie Stevens.

Match report copyright © Ken Fox 2006.