Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

You put your right foot in

Pilgrims 2-2 Scarborough

Nationwide Conference

Boston United started the game with two new signings in the starting line-up. Andrew Turner, who began his footballing career with Spurs, had been signed on a month's loan from Rotherham and started on the left wing. More surprisingly, 39 year old Gary Mills, formerly manager of Grantham Town had joined the Pilgrims from King's Lynn just before the match. He took suspended Jim Dick's place in the midfield. Early runs down the left wing by Turner showed promise. He seemed to be able to get past the Scarborough defence and send in telling crosses almost at will. One such cross after nineteen minutes found the head of Conference Goalscorer of the Month Ken Charlery, but he deflected it over the bar. The on twenty four minutes a poorly cleared corner fell nicely for Howarth to fire in a shot that bounced off Scarborough defender Shaun Rennison, then Paul FEWINGS and into the net. Scarborough's first half chance came when a long range shot almost caught out Paul Bastock but went just wide of the post. Turner kept working his magic down the left wing and another great cross was only intercepted at the last moment to deny Charlery. A clever chip by Fewings then released Raynor whose shot come cross just failed to find the net or a Boston boot as it passed across the face of the goal. Near the end of the half Paul Bastock came very close to opening his goalscoring account. A Scarborough free kick on the edge of the area went straight into Bastock's hands. Spotting Andy Woods in the Scarborough goal off his line, he punted the ball downfield with some force. The ball bounced over Woods' head and just like it looked as if the ball would roll into the net, it got stuck in the mud to deny Bastock an unlikely goal.

Richard Lucas then tried to get on the scoresheet when the ball was headed towards him on the edge of the area, but his curling shot was well saved by Woods. On the stroke of half-time, the ball found its way to Charlery in the area, who turned and shot well, but too high. Scarborough started the second half well. A powerfully struck shot by Romain Faure through a crowded penalty area required a good save by Bastock. Scarborough then equalised when a cross by Dave Pounder picked out Cherif DIALLO, whose well placed header into the corner of the net gave Bastock no chance. Six minuted later Scarborough went ahead. BRODIE collected the ball on the left wing near the Boston dugout. He cut infield and from five yards outside the penalty area planted the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Boston were soon back on level terms. Almost straight from the restart a long ball forward found Fewings, who was knocked to the ground in a joint challenge by Woods and Rennison. The referee pointed to the spot, booked Rennison, and WILSON dispatched the penalty at the second attempt after his initial shot had been parried by the keeper back into his path. Howarth was unlucky to get booked after Brodie appeared to run into him on the edge of the area. Gowshall also got booked a few minutes later, for a blatant foul on the same player. Towards the end, Steve Evans brought on French and Rawle for Raynor and Fewings, but it was too late to make any difference to the result.

United team: 1. Bastock, 2. Gowshall, 3. Lucas, 4. Hoyle, 5. Howarth, 6. Wilson, 7. Mills, 8. Charlery, 9. Raynor (French), 10. Fewings (Rawle), 11. Turner. Subs not used: Nuttell, Curtis, Martin.

Match report and photo by Ken Fox.