Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Murphy floats above the Scarborough defence

Pilgrims 2-2 Scarborough

Nationwide Conference

With both Mike Marsh and Ken Charlery having left the club in recent days, the Boston United starting line-up required a few changes. Peter Costello filled Marsh's spot and Gez Murphy came in for Charlery. Steve Evans has complained after recent games that the Boston team seems to need to be a goal down before they get going. This game was different. The Pilgrims started the match on top. Their first chance came when Andy Lodge, back in the side after injury, saw a shot from the edge of the area go just wide of the left upright. Then on six minutes Boston took the lead when Daryl CLARE scored with a spectacular overhead kick that gave the keeper no chance. Former Scarborough defender Paul Ellender almost gave the Seadogs a chance of equalising when he was dispossesed by Pounder, but Monington made a crucial tackle to save his blushes. A free kick from the left wing found its way through to Ross Weatherstone at the back post, but he blasted his shot high and wide. A minute later, a ball was threaded through to Costello in the area and with his back to goal he turned and shot, but only found Andy Woods in the Scarborough goal. Jason Blunt got booked for a foul on Ellender and seven minutes later Ellender's name went into the referee's book for a foul on Blunt. A pass downfield by Lodge was cleverly headed into the path of Murphy by Clare, but Murphy could only shoot into the side netting. On the other wing, Clifford was then unlucky when his penetrating cross was almost deflected into his own net by a Scarborough defender. On the half hour, after a series of poor passes, Steve Evans decided to bring on James Gould for Lodge.

The half ended with a chance at either end. First Ross Weatherstone saw a curling shot from the edge of the area tipped over the bar. Then Scarborough's Elliott should have done better than firing high into the Town End when put in the clear on a break. The second half was just two minutes old when Scarborough equalised. Steve Brodie just managed to keep the ball in play as it headed towards the touchline on the halfway line. He then played a long ball forward to BLUNT who left his marker Ross Weatherstone for dead and lobbed Paul Bastock from tweny five yards out. Boston soon came close to regaining the lead when a cross by Clifford was passed on to Costello by Murphy, but his shot was well saved by Woods. Scarborough now gained in confidence and on sixty minutes they took the lead when once again Ross Weatherstone gifted them a goal. This time, under no real pressure he underhit a backpass to Paul Bastock to allow Andrew WINDROSS to nip between him and the keeper and plant the ball into an empty net. Scarborough now looked just as likely to score as the home side. In an attempt to inject new life into the Boston side, Steve Evans brought on his remaining two substitutes, first Town for Murphy, then Cook for the hapless Ross Weatherstone. Boston finally got their equaliser five minutes from the end. Mark Angel was tripped by Elliott as he ran into the area. Elliott was booked and CLARE powered the resulting penalty beyond the reach of Woods.

United team: 1. Bastock, 2. Clifford, 3. Lodge (Gould 28), 4. R Weatherstone (Cook 81), 5. Monington, 6. Ellender, 7. Costello, 8. Murphy (Town 69), 9. Clare, 10. S Weatherstone, 11. Angel. Subs not used: Rusk, Conroy.

Match report by Ken Fox.