Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Boston Attack

Pilgrims 5-1 Leigh RMI

Conference North

The Pilgrims continued their mini-revival at York Street on Saturday by beating a Leigh RMI side with the cloud of relegation firmly over them. Earlier in the season the Pilgrims had taken a 2-0 lead away to the Lancashire side, but lapsed and ‘earned’ a disappointing 2-2 draw. After a sound 3-1 victory away at Gainsborough, Tommy Taylor kept faith in the likes of Michael Wood, Jon Rowan and Jon Stevenson but leading scorer Jon Froggatt replaced Keiran Leabon and Matt O’Halloran covered for an injured David Galbriath. The early exchanges saw Tony Crane header fail to challenge Leigh ‘keeper Tim Dittmer, while for what would not be the first time of the afternoon, Leigh hit the crossbar, via a cross-come-shot from Mark Smyth. A similar incident minutes later saw the aforementioned Dittmer tip over O’Halloran’s effort from the right flank. O’HALLORAN continued to be heavily involved in the game by scoring the Pilgrims’ opener – tapping into an empty net from a Rowan cross. The two combined again minutes later when O’Halloran’s centre lead to Rowan forcing a sharp save from Dittmer, while from the resultant corner ROWAN belatedly headed into the net.

Just before half time, O’Halloran was booked for literally shoving his opponent off the ball, and after receiving his caution came off injured, Lee Thompson his replacement. Not long after half-time, the Pilgrims scored again, this time leading goal-scorer Jon Froggatt cut in, before sliding the ball to ROWAN to coolly slide the ball past Dittmer. After a couple of long range efforts of varying quality from United, they added a fourth via substitute Keiran LEABON, who scored at the second attempt in the 72nd minutes. In the 82nd minute Leigh fans were finally given something to cheer about, as Robin GIBSON fired past Curtis Aspden and ensured that despite a good spell with the Pilgrims, the young stopper departed York Street with no clean sheets for Boston. However, Boston hit back and the rout was completed when in the 82nd minute FROGGATT converted a cross from Leabon.

Boston United: Curtis Aspden, Tom Matthews, Matt Bloomer, Paul Ellender, Tony Crane, Michael Wood, Matt O'Halloran (Lee Thompson 40), Ashley Nicholls (Stewart Talbot 69), Jon Froggatt, Jon Stevenson (Kieran Leabon 65), Jon Rowan. Subs not used: Simon Weaver, Liam Green.

Match report and photograph copyright © Adam Hildred 2008.