Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

One second before Boston take the lead

Pilgrims 2-1 Worcester City

Dr Martens League

In what was likely to be the toughest of United's last five home fixtures, Boston ground out a win against a recently revitalised Worcester City side that had won four of their last six league matches. It wasn't pretty football to watch, especially in the second half, but at this stage of the season the result matters more than the style of victory. In the first half hour Boston dominated the play, with Worcester rarely threatening. Keeble soon had an excellent chance to put the Pilgrims in front when he broke clear down the right, but his shot tantalisingly beat the keeper, rolled across the face of the goal before bouncing out of the far post. Peter COSTELLO has been getting rave reviews for recent performances and it was a piece of brilliance by him that put Boston in front after 18 minutes. He collected the ball on the edge of the area, with his back to goal, turned his marker and curled an exquisite shot into the top right hand corner of the net past the outstretched fingers of Danny Watson in the Worcester goal. Worcester came close to equalising almost immediately, but wasted a free kick on the edge of the area, first blasting straight at the Boston wall, then hitting the rebound wide of the goal.

Mickey Nuttell was then brought off after twisting his ankle, being replaced by Paul Watts. Watts played a key part in the build up to Boston's second goal. On the half hour, he flicked a ball through to KEEBLE to put him clear and he then rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the net. It was all looking very easy until Worcester pulled a goal back. Paul Bastock made a great block to concede a corner. From the resulting kick Worcester first hit the bar with a screamer of a shot that bounced down on to the goal line and out, then Mark OWEN followed up by heading home the rebound. In the second half Boston shut up shop and defended their lead. Apart from a couple of glaring misses, the first by Keeble and the second by Watts, chances were few and far between. By the time the ninety minutes were up, most of the Boston fans in the large crowd were relieved to hear the final whistle.

United team: 1. Paul Bastock, 2. Joby Gowshall, 3. Paul Wilson, 4. Colin Hoyle, 5. Peter Costello, 6. David Rennie, 7. Andrew Stanhope, 8. Steve Charles, 9. Mickey Nuttell, 10. Shaun Keeble, 11. Paul Raynor, 12. Lee Power, 14. Paul Watts, 15. Adie Hayes.