Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Greaves heads clear

Pilgrims 1-0 Peterborough United

Coca-Cola League

The last time Peterborough United visited Boston for a league fixture was on Boxing Day 1957 when the two sides were competing in the Midland League. That match attracted 9288 spectators who saw the home side claim a narrow 2-1 win courtesy of goals from Andy Graver and Johnny Garvie. Peterborough however went on to gain their third successive Midland League title and Boston finished in third place. Forty eight years on and the two sides finally came together again. In the intervening years Peterborough have scaled the dizzy heights of the Football League while Boston have plumbed the depths of non-league football before rising up the ranks to win their place amongst the footballing elite in 2002. Manager Steve Evans stuck with the same starting line-up that had drawn at Darlington on Tuesday night. Austin McCann was available again following his one match ban for his sending off against Grimsby, but he only had a place on the substitutes' bench. It was a fairly drab match for the 4126 spectators. Boston had an early chance from a corner, but Chris Plummer made a good block to keep the ball out. Noel Whelan got his name taken by the referee after just six minutes following a wild challenge on Mark Arber. Nathan Abbey had to make a good save to tip away a curling free kick by Adam Miller on 26 minutes following a handball by Paul Ellender. Then at the other end James Quinn headed Paul Carden's corner over the bar. Peterborough finished the half strongly.

Plummer somehow managed to head Carden's free kick too high, then Ian Ross had to make a goal-line clearance to keep out a downward header by Mark Arber. Boston dominated the early part of the second half. David Noble fired in a long range shot that was high and wide. Then Mark Greaves saw his header go close as he got on the end of a free kick taken by Ross. Boston took the lead on 63 minutes via the penalty spot after Lee Canoville had been brought down by Sean St Ledger. Noel Whelan saw his spot kick saved by Lee Harrison, but the referee ordered a retake after spotting an infringement by the keeper. This time Ian ROSS stepped up to take the kick and his straight drive powered into the back of the net. Ross soon tried to increase Boston's lead but Harrison was able to make a save. Then Julian Joachim latched on to a long punt downfield by Abbey, but his shot was just wide. Danny Thomas came on for David Noble and then Lawrie Dudfield replaced Noel Whelan. Dudfield almost grabbed a goal with a close range shot, but it went inches wide. Right at the end Ryan Semple broke free but he couldn't find the target with his final effort. After the match Steve Evans said: "All in all a good ninety minutes. But we're not getting carried away. We've beaten Peterborough. I really fancied us to beat Peterborough and I told the press that earlier this week.

United team: Nathan Abbey, Lee Canoville, Paul Ellender, Alan White, Mark Greaves, Simon Rusk, Brad Maylett (Stewart Talbot 90), Ian Ross, David Noble (Danny Thomas 81), Julian Joachim, Noel Whelan (Lawrie Dudfield 83). Subs not used: Jason Lee, Austin McCann.

Match report copyright © Ken Fox 2005. Photograph copyright © Pat Everitt 2005.