Home Results Table Statistics

Reserves 0-1 Wyberton

Lincolnshire League

Report by Colin Woodcock

The much awaited local derby return fixture featuring Boston United Reserves and Wyberton saw a visitors side with no less than seven players having former York Street connections whilst the pre-match "buzz" centred around the inclusion of Paul Cavell in the United line-up. It came as little surprise that the match attracted a crowd of around 150 spectators and there was much good-humoured rivalry between the stalwart supporters of both camps in the build-up to the kick-off.

In the opening minutes, United's pacy forwards began to pose problems for the visitors, who were content to concede free-kicks with Wyberton defender Paul Frestle being lucky to escape with a booking after a deliberate hand ball halted one promising surge down the middle.

On eight minutes the visitors caught the home defence napping as a cross-field pass split them wide open allowing Gary Baines to collect the ball eight yards out to unleash a powerful cross shot that brought a superb one-handed save from Nick Maddison in the United goal.

Both sides seemed content to hoist high balls into the box with the visitors' back four being well able to contain United in this department. For Wyberton Jason Vaughan was playing an commanding role in the centre of midfield whilst Paul Cavell, despite some neat touches, wasn't exerting the influence the home crowd had hoped for. On twenty one minutes, Gary Baines went into the book for a rash challenge on Matthew Tavinder.

The breakthrough came on the half hour when Jason Vaughan whipped in a good cross from the left for Andrew WARHURST to get in front of his marker and power in a classic header that gave Maddison no chance.

Wyberton maintained their lead to the interval relatively easily but after the break United came more into the game, particularly when they used the flanks. Matthew Price put in several crosses but as before United's forwards were finding it hard going against the more experienced and certainly uncompromising approach of the Wyberton defence.

The visitors came close to increasing their lead on sixty seven minutes when Wilkinson powered in a long range effort from twenty five yards but home keeper Maddison, in his best game so far, made a flying save tipping the ball over for a corner.

United's best effort came from Neil Featherstone who saw a pile driver fly over the bar with fifteen minutes to go but as the final whistle went, it was an experienced Wyberton side who had completed the double over United's youngsters.

Few would dispute that several of the Wyberton side are in the twilight of their careers but United's youngsters must learn to vary their tactics against such teams. Paul Cavell might have troubled Messrs King and Frestle more than Simon Bailey or Neil Featherstone, had he been thrown forward but on the day, it was experience that triumphed over youthful endeavour.

United team: 1. N.Maddison, 2. M. Heaton, 3. G.Maddison, 4. R.Kent, 5. M.Price, 6. M.Tavinder, 7. M.Melson, 8. R.Charles, 9. S.Bailey, 10. N.Featherstone, 11. P.Cavell, 12. R.Newbold, 14. R.Collingwood, 15. D.Seager.

Wyberton team: 1. M.Bunce, 2. M.Johnson, 3. S.Sutton, 4. P.Frestle, 5. A.Warhurst, 6. J.Vaughan, 7. M.King, 8. P.Timby, 9. A.Wilkinson, 10. G.Baines, 11. J.Dawson, 12. N.Lovelace, 14. P.Massam, 15. P.Vaughan.